VOTE NOW: Two Republic FC Players Nominated for USL Championship September Goal of the Month
Earlier today, the USL Championship announced that Republic FC defender Jack Gurr and forward Maalique Foster have each been nominated for Fans' Choice Goal of the Month for September. Voting for the monthly honor is open now at USLChampionship.com, and will close Monday, October 10 at 9:00 a.m. PT.
Gurr's score was the second of four for Sacramento against Loudoun United FC on September 10 and his first score in Old Glory Red. After receiving the ball from the left, the Englishman wound up on his left foot before putting a well-paced shot just inside the right post. The goal was eventually named the Week 27 Goal of the Week following a fan vote, beating out Oakland's Lindo Mfeka, Hartford's Prince Saydee, Rio Grande Valley's Emilio Ycaza, and Detroit's Deklan Wynne.
The following week against defending league champion Orange County SC, Foster's score continued first half fireworks for Sacramento. The speedster snuck behind the opposing backline in transition before slotting in a Rodrigo Lopez through pass for his first of two scores on the day, and the club's third of four for the match. The score won the Week 28 Goal of the Week poll.
Gurr and Foster's nominations are the third and fourth by the club for the monthly honor this season. Defender Damia Viader was nominated for the June honor for his opening score against Detroit City FC, and Luis Felipe took home the July award for his last second equalizer against Oakland Roots. This is each player's first career nomination for Goal of the Month.
Gurr, Foster and Republic FC are back in action this Sunday from Heart Health Park against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC. The match is the club's annual Breast Health Awareness game, presented by UC Davis Health. Throughout the afternoon, the club will highlight the importance of early screenings and celebrate local survivors and health care heroes. Tickets are still available at SacRepublicFC.com/single-match-tickets, and the contest will be broadcast live in English and Spanish on Antenna TV 40.2, FOX40.com and the FOX40 News mobile app, and streaming on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 6, 2022
- VOTE NOW: Two Republic FC Players Nominated for USL Championship September Goal of the Month - Sacramento Republic FC
- Compartiendo la Cultura Con Otros: How a Spanish Tradition Brought the Indomitable Club Together - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal and Driblab Sign Partnership to Incorporate Big Data into Talent Search and Performance Analysis Processes - San Diego Loyal
- Know Your Opponent: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Match Postponed Due to Inclement Weather, Field Conditions - New Mexico United
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drops Points to Number Three Seed Colorado - El Paso Locomotive FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- A Look Back: Republic FC's Top Moments from 2023
- Republic FC Signs Defender Jonathan Ricketts Ahead of 2024 Season
- MLS NEXT Fest Preview: Academy Heads to the Desert to Face Top Competition
- Republic FC Forward Da'Vian Kimbrough Called up to Mexico U-15 Youth National Team
- Conor Donovan Named Community MVP