New Mexico United Match Postponed Due to Inclement Weather, Field Conditions
New Mexico United's penultimate home match against Los Angeles Galaxy II was postponed due to unsafe field conditions as a result of rainy weather. After a much-anticipated lead up to secure a playoff spot, fans and players were forced to go home early before 7 minutes of the match were played.
The match was able to start at the scheduled 7:00 kickoff time even with the continuing rain. New Mexico United won a free kick and a corner kick, starting the match off with a strong attacking presence. Justin Portillo, with the last action of the day, received a yellow card after a strong challenge at midfield.
The match was then delayed by the first official after declaring the field conditions from the rain unsafe for play. After an hour plus of delay, the referees reconvened on the pitch to check to see if conditions improved to continue and decided against it.
New Mexico United announced that it would try to replay the game this upcoming week before the end of the season on the 15th.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 6, 2022
- VOTE NOW: Two Republic FC Players Nominated for USL Championship September Goal of the Month - Sacramento Republic FC
- Compartiendo la Cultura Con Otros: How a Spanish Tradition Brought the Indomitable Club Together - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal and Driblab Sign Partnership to Incorporate Big Data into Talent Search and Performance Analysis Processes - San Diego Loyal
- Know Your Opponent: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Match Postponed Due to Inclement Weather, Field Conditions - New Mexico United
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drops Points to Number Three Seed Colorado - El Paso Locomotive FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United Announces Signing of Midfielder Marco Micaletto
- One of Our Own: New Mexican Sergio Rivas Returns for 2024
- Albuquerque City Council Approves Lease Between New Mexico United & City of Albuquerque for Private Construction of Soccer Stadium at Balloon Fiesta Park
- New Mexico United Stadium Proposal Passes Environmental Planning Commission by 8-1 Vote
- Ryden with United - Kalen Ryden Signs New Contract with New Mexico United