Utah Royals FC Shuts Down Sky Blue FC 1-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC (5-2-1, 16 points) returned from the brief World Cup break, but didn't miss a beat in getting back to its winning ways with a 1-0 victory over Sky Blue FC on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
URFC got an early goal from FW Amy Rodriguez, her fifth of the season, and GK Nicole Barnhart made five saves for her fifth shutout of the season.
In the sixth minute, MF Vero Boquete nearly snared the lead when her free kick from just outside the box was parried away for a corner kick. Then in the 11th minute, Rodriguez won possession in her own half and carried it 50 yards to the other end of the field before firing a shot from 30 yards out to put URFC up 1-0. Despite losing Boquete to injury in the 35th minute, Royals FC stayed in control of the match until halftime.
In the second half, Sky Blue FC had opportunities to equalize, but Barnhart proved up to the task to hold off the visitors. In the match, Sky Blue outshot Utah 17-11, but Royals FC put six shots on goal to five for Sky Blue FC.
UP NEXT: URFC will head West to face Portland Thorns FC for the first time this season on Friday, June 21 at 9:00 p.m. MT at Providence Park.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (Gunny Jónsdóttir) 16th minute: Amy Rodriguez, working in conjunction with Gunny Jónsdóttir, dispossessed the ball from Sky Blue FC defender Caprice Dydasco from her own half and then proceeded to dribble the ball up the length of the midfield. She then rocketed the ball into the top of goal, right below the crossbar for a golazo, her fifth goal of the season and a 1-0 lead.
- Utah played without DF Katie Bowen (NZL), DF Rachel Corsie (SCO), MF Desiree Scott (CAN), DF Becky Sauerbrunn (USA), FW Christen Press (USA) and DF/FW Kelley O'Hara (USA) due to international duty as they enter preparation for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup. MF Diana Matheson also missed the match due to injury.
- Royals FC was also without MF Lo'eau LaBonta who was serving a two-game suspension for major game misconduct during the match against the Orlando Pride May 25. She is eligible to return to action next week against Portland.
- MF Vero Boquete came off with an ankle injury in the 35th minute.
- DF Sydney Miramontez recorded her first minutes of the season, coming on as a substitute in the 62nd minute for DF Michelle Maemone. Miramontez missed the first part of the season as a result of a foot injury.
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. Sky Blue FC
Date: June 15, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, UT
Weather: Sunny and 83 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 1 0 1
Sky Blue FC 0 0 0
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (Gunny Jónsdóttir) 16'
Utah Royals FC (4-3-3): Nicole Barnhart ©; Michelle Maemone (Sydney Miramontez 62'), Gaby Vincent, Sam Johnson, Becca Moros; Mandy Laddish (Alexa Newfield 83'), Gunny Jonsdottir, Vero Boquete (Mallory Weber 35'); Erika Tymrak, Amy Rodriguez, Katie Stengel
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Meghan Cox, Raisa Strom-Okimoto, Makenzy Doniak
Sky Blue FC (4-3-3): Didi Haracic; Erica Skroski, Gina Lewandowski, Caprice Dydasco, Sabrina Flores; Sarak Killion ©, Nahomi Kawasumi (Jen Hoy 68'), Raquel Rodriguez; Savannah McCaskill (Elizabeth Eddy 78'), Paige Monaghan (Gabi 82'), Imani Dorsey
Subs not used: Amandine Pierre-Louis, Julie James, Kenie Wright, Kaylan Marckese
Stats Summary: UTA / NJ
Shots on Goal: 6/5
Corner Kicks: 2/5
NJ: Erica Skorski (caution) 84'
UTA: Erika Tymrak (caution) 90'+2
Referee: Danielle Chesky
Assistant Referees: Kali Smith, Salma Perez
4th Official: Karen Callado
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Sky Blue FC Fall to Utah on the Road - Sky Blue FC
- Fishlock Goal Secures 1-1 Draw with Spirit - OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Shuts Down Sky Blue FC 1-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah to Host 2020 NWSL Challenge Cup Presented by P&G and Secret
- RSL and Utah Royals FC Join with Wonder Entertainment to 'Light the RioT'
- A Unique Mix of Partners Collaborate with the Navajo Nation During COVID-19 Pandemic
- RSL Foundation and Broadway Media Group Launch "Feeding Our Frontline" Community Fund
- Dell Loy Hansen and Wasatch Property Management Offer Relief to Property Residents