USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced on Thursday the four groups made up of teams from the Western Conference that will battle for a place in the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs when the league returns to play on Saturday, July 11.
Group A: Portland Timbers 2, Reno 1868 FC, Sacramento Republic FC, Tacoma Defiance
Group B: LA Galaxy II, Las Vegas Lights FC, Orange County SC, Phoenix Rising FC, San Diego Loyal SC
Group C: Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, El Paso Locomotive FC, New Mexico United, Real Monarchs SLC
Group D: Austin Bold FC, OKC Energy FC, Rio Grande Valley FC, San Antonio FC, FC Tulsa
As detailed in the Championship's announcement of the updated season structure, each team in Group A and Group C will play its fellow group members four times during the regular season. Meanwhile, each team in Group B and Group D will play its fellow group members three times. The remaining games will be played against teams that fall within a similar geographic region.
Two sets of rivals feature in the opening group, with the Donner Pass Derby likely to be key to the seasons of both Reno 1868 FC and Sacramento Republic FC. The playoff regulars are joined by the Pacific Northwest duo of the Timbers 2, who themselves made the Championship Playoffs two years ago, and the Defiance, which will begin the season resumption having played one game more than its groupmates.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 25, 2020
- In Case You Missed It: Republic FC to Resume 16-Game Season with New Regional Group Play - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups - Orange County SC
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups - San Antonio FC
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups - USL
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups - OKC Energy FC
- FC Tulsa Placed in Group D for USL Championship Restart - FC Tulsa
- RGV FC to Face Austin Bold, SAFC, OKC Energy & FC Tulsa in Group D - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Switchbacks FC Placed in Group C for 2020 Regular Season - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- USL Championship Announces Western Conference Groups - Reno 1868 FC
- Louisville City FC Coins Supporters Section 'Estopinal End' - Louisville City FC
- Joint USL League One-USLPA Statement on Return to Play - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.