Trade Sends Massive Abbott to Spartans' O-Line
La Crosse, WI: After a disappointing season in the win column last year, the La Crosse Spartans continue to add talent and depth to their roster in hopes of turning things around in 2011. Today, the Spartans acquired one of the league's most intimidating physical players in offensive lineman Courtney Abbott (6'9", 340 lbs.) from the Kent Predators in exchange for future considerations.
Last season, he joined the Predators mid-way through the season and helped anchor the IFL's eighth-best offense. The Predators averaged 223 yards per game and 42.6 points per game in 2010 and Abbott protected one of the league's biggest offensive threats in quarterback Charles McCullum. He began the season playing with the West Michigan Thunderhawks and spent three years with the West Texas Roughnecks from 2007 to 2009. Abbott finished his college career at Florida State University in 2006 after transferring from East Mississippi Junior College.
"Picking up a guy like Courtney is huge to our offense and the direction that we are looking to take this organization," Spartans General Manager Chris Kokalis said. "He's big. He proved this past season he is one of the best offensive linemen in the league. He'll be a great addition to our squad."
The Spartans also added indoor football veteran quarterback Ryan Maiuri last week. Maiuri, along with last season's starter Buddy Rivera, are expected to compete for the starting job behind center. Rivera is expected to be re-signed to the team in the coming weeks.
The Spartans, entering their second season in the Indoor Football League, were named the 2010 IFL Community Relations Franchise of the Year for their efforts in the community this past season. Season tickets are now on sale for the 2011 season for as low as $84 and can be purchased by calling 608-782-4461 or by visiting www.lacrossespartans.com.
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from September 14, 2010
- Rising Defensive Back Returns to Storm for 2011 - Sioux Falls Storm
- Trade Sends Massive Abbott to Spartans' O-Line - La Crosse Spartans
- Rivalry Moves from the Ice Rink to the Football Field - Fairbanks Grizzlies
- Dance Team Tryouts Saturday and Sunday - Amarillo Venom
- Wenatchee Valley Venom Joins the IFL - IFL
- Express Sign Trio of Receivers - Reading Express
- Colorado Ice 2011 Signings Bring in New Players - Colorado Crush
- Over a Cup of Coffee - OSC Original by Jerry Hewitt
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.