Thunder, MYSA team up to help hurricane victims
ST. PAUL, Minn. (Friday, September 9, 2005)--The Minnesota Thunder has teamed up with the Minnesota Youth Soccer Association (MYSA) to help victims of Hurricane Katrina at Saturday night's final home game of the year at James Griffin Stadium in St. Paul. Kick-off is set for 7:05 p.m. against the Atlanta Silverbacks.
All Thunder fans and MYSA members are encouraged to bring a donation to the game. Items in need include:
-New clothing with tags (t-shirts, underwear, socks, and slippers)
-Canned foods with pull-off tops
-Personal hygiene items
The collected items will be given to the Greater Twin Cities United Way and then distributed to Hurricane Katrina victims that may arrive here in Minnesota and those located throughout the United States.
"We want to offer our fans and the members of MYSA a way to help out the victims of this disaster," said Djorn Buchholz, general manager of the Thunder. "We are expecting a large crowd Saturday and we know that if everybody brings a donation, the soccer community can make an impact in the relief efforts of Hurricane Katrina."
MYSA is a Minnesota non-profit organization consisting of approximately 80,000 youth from Minnesota, western Wisconsin, eastern North Dakota and a small part of Canada. MYSA is headquartered in Minnetonka, Minn. For more information, visit their website at www.mnyouthsoccer.org.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from September 9, 2005
- Lynx Defeated on the Island - Toronto Lynx
- Thunder, MYSA team up to help hurricane victims - Minnesota Thunder
- Charleston Battery Fans Donate $12,912 for Hurricane Katrina Relief - Charleston Battery
- Toronto at Puerto Rico live Friday on Fox Soccer Channel - USL-1
- Whitecaps host USL First Division champs - Vancouver Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Thunder Stories
- Majors Post Back-To-Back Wins Up North
- Final Thunder Match of 2009 Ends in 3-2 Loss to Battery
- Final Thunder Away Match Ends in 1-1 Draw with Montreal Impact
- Minnesota Thunder Handily Defeats Puerto Rico Islanders 5-2
- Minnesota Thunder Tie Vancouver Whitecaps 1-1