Thompson Dominates as Blue Crabs Walk-Off Ducks
Waldorf, MD. - It was Daryl Thompson's (2-1) night. He threw nothing short of a gem in the series opener against the Long Island Ducks as he threw a complete game allowing just two runs in the Blue Crabs' walk-off victory.
The scoring started with a two-run burst from the Ducks in the sixth, the only two runs that Thompson would give up all night long.
Tony Thomas and Cory Vaughn kept the gem alive with a trio of fantastic catches as the game advanced, flashing the leather left and right.
The right-hander kept chucking as the game progressed, and only got better with time, as did the Blue Crabs' run support. He struck out eight on the game, and became the first Blue Crab to pitch a complete game this season. In the bottom of the seventh inning Southern Maryland got on the board when Thomas drove in Vaughn to shave the Long Island lead to one, with the Ducks ahead 2-1 heading into the top of the eighth.
The bottom of the ninth spelled a comeback, and did so in dramatic fashion. Charlie Valerio started the inning off with a double to the right-center alley to ignite the Blue Crabs' flame. Kent Blackstone came into pinch run for Valerio, and the speedster would score on a sacrifice fly from Thomas, tying things up at 2-2. Rubi Silva played the hero in the victory, as he slapped a two-out single to left field for the win, notching the Blue Crabs first walk-off win of 2019.
The Blue Crabs play again tomorrow, May 14th, against the Ducks at Regency Furniture Stadium, first pitch at 2:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Thompson Dominates as Blue Crabs Walk-Off Ducks - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Parry Dominates Early; Blue Crabs Rally Late - Long Island Ducks
- Somerset Patriots Land Major League LHP David Holmberg - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season