The Impact Faces The Puerto Rico Islanders Saturday At Saputo Stadium
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact plays Saturday its third match of the season in the USSF-D2 versus the Puerto Rico Islanders at Saputo Stadium (2:30 pm, Radio-Canada, CKAC Sports, THE TEAM 990, radio-canada.ca/sports).
Montreal will try to register its first win of the season, following a 2-0 loss against the Aztex in Austin, April 11 and a 1-1 draw against Portland, last Sunday, in Montreal. Meanwhile, the Impact was shut out 2-0 by Toronto FC, Wednesday at BMO Field, in its first match of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.
"We obtained good scoring chances in Toronto. But it's never easy to score goals," said Impact head coach Marc Dos Santos. "I hope we will be able to capitalize on our opportunities Saturday. With a win, we would be well positioned to fight for the first rank in our division. It will be important to manage well our players in anticipation of the match on Wednesday against Vancouver."
The Impact and the Islanders faced off in last season's semifinals. The Impact won the series 4-2 on aggregate goals. But in the 2009 regular season, the Impact had lost three times versus Puerto Rico : 3-2, May 2, in Bayamon, 1-0, July 19 at Saputo Stadium, and 1-0 August 15, in Puerto Rico.
This year, Puerto Rico is undefeated since the start of the campaign, after winning its first match 3-1 versus Minnesota, April 21 at home, at Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium, and 3-1 against Crystal Palace Baltimore, April 24, in Maryland.
"This is a team with great offensive qualities, so it will be important to be disciplined defensively. However, given that the Islanders are playing on the road, they will probably play very tight and seek opportunities in counterattacks," noted defender Simon Gatti, who will play his first match of the season Saturday. "It's a team that was successful against us during the last season matches, so we know it will not be easy. A win against an excellent team like Puerto Rico would be very good for our confidence."
Forward Eduardo Sebrango will not play against Puerto Rico after suffering a thigh injury in Toronto, while defender Stefano Pesoli has recovered from an ankle injury.
Impact goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic will be playing his first regular season match this year.
It's still possible to buy 2010 season tickets and mini-season tickets for five or ten matches are also available. For further information, dial 514-328-3668 or visit impactmontreal.com.
- Since the Islander's arrival in the league in 2004, the Impact maintained a 9-4-4 record in 17 matches versus Puerto Rico (18 GF - 10 GA). The Impact has not won in its last five regular season games against the Islanders.
- Ten new players joined the Puerto Rican team, notably midfielder Christopher Ronald Nurse, formerly with the Rochester Rhinos.
- Defenders Cristian Arrieta and John Krause, midfielders Petter Villegas, Jonathan Steele and James Marcelin, as well as forwards Fabrice Noel and Sean Fraser, are no longer with the team this season.
NEXT THREE MATCHES
- Wednesday, May 5 - IMPACT @ Vancouver - Swangard Stadium - 10 pm (Sportsnet)*
- Saturday, May 8 - Minnesota @ IMPACT -Saputo Stadium - 2:30 pm (Radio-Canada, CKAC Sports, THE TEAM 990, radio-canada.ca/sports)
- Wednesday, May 12 - Toronto @ IMPACT - Saputo Stadium - 8 pm (Sportsnet)*
* Nutrilite Canadian Championship match
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from April 30, 2010
- The Impact Faces The Puerto Rico Islanders Saturday At Saputo Stadium - Montreal Impact
- Miami FC-Tampa: A Rivalry Renewed - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Roberto Brown Suspended By Impact - Montreal Impact
- Miami FC And FC Tampa Bay Rowdies Rekindle 30-Year Rivalry In Costal Cup - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Whitecaps Fall to Rival Timbers 2-1 - Vancouver Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.