Swarm extend streak, defeat Wings
PHILADELPHIA, pa - The Minnesota Swarm (5-5) won its third game in a row with a 13-12 victory over the Philadelphia Wings (4-7) Saturday night in front of 10,160 at the Wachovia Center. F Aaron Wilson (3-4=7) and F Kevin Buchanan (2-5=7) each had seven points to lead Minnesota and G Nick Patterson made 35 saves in the win. F Athan Iannucci led the Wings with seven points (5-2=7) and F Drew Westervelt added five (2-3=5) as G Rob Blasdell made 41 saves in the loss.
Minnesota entered the game giving up the first goal in eight out of nine games this season and had been outscored 33-16 in the first quarter. Saturday proved to be a different story for the Swarm as it jumped out to a 4-0 first quarter lead. D Ryan Cousins, F Dan Marohl, Aaron Wilson and Kevin Buchanan all scored while forwards Andrew Watt and Chad Culp added two assists each. Philadelphia responded in the second quarter, out-scoring the Swarm 4-2. Cousins scored his second goal of the game and Marohl also scored for Minnesota while Athan Iannucci scored two goals and added an assist for the Wings to cut the halftime deficit to 6-4.
The teams traded three goals in the third period as neither team was able to take control of the game. Buchanan and Wilson added their second goals of the game and F Sean Pollock added a power-play goal for the Swarm late after Iannucci cut the Minnesota lead to one. Philadelphia responded early in the fourth quarter, scoring four of the first five goals to take its first lead of the game. The see-saw battled continued as Minnesota responded with goals from Wilson and Pollock to regain a 12-11 lead. The Wings did not go away though as F Merrick Thomson tied the game at 13:35 before Culp's game-winning-goal in the final seconds.
Minnesota finished 1-for-3 on the power-play and out-shot the Wings 58-47 on the night. The Wings scored on its only power-play of the night as the Swarm took just one minor penalty for the game. Culp finished with five points (1-4=5) and Marohl added three goals for the Swarm who won its third game in a row after dropping five consecutive games. Minnesota finishes its stretch of five consecutive road games next Sunday at Colorado, 7:00 PM (CST) at the Pepsi Center.
Minnesota's next home game is Saturday, March 28th vs. the Calgary Roughnecks. Swarm single game tickets are on sale now at the Xcel Energy Center Box Office and all Ticketmaster locations, by calling 888-MN-SWARM or by visiting www.mnswarm.com. Swarm Single game tickets are available in all price categories and range from $13.00 to $65.00.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 14, 2009
- Boston Blazers Defeated 9-8 in Overtime by Toronto Rock - Boston Blazers
- Mammoth victorious - Colorado Mammoth
- Swarm extend streak, defeat Wings - Minnesota Swarm
- Wings Lose Heart Breaker in Final Second to Minnesota - Philadelphia Wings
- Knighthawks Activate Defenseman Chandon Hill - Rochester Knighthawks
- Blazers Set to Face Toronto Tonight - Boston Blazers
- Roughnecks Show Rush No Mercy Friday - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton