SuperDraft Selections Have SRFC History
For college soccer stars, the first step of their professional journey begins this Thursday during Major League Soccer's annual and highly anticipated draft
When the Indomitable Club cruises into the topflight of domestic soccer in a few seasons, one of the first league-wide events Sacramento will partake in will be the Major League Soccer SuperDraft.
The draft is held every January and is the first chance for the standouts in college to make the leap to the professional ranks. Every MLS club participates with expansion clubs receiving the first pick in each of the draft's opening rounds - Austin FC being the lone newcomer to the league this coming campaign.
Unlike in year's past, the 2021 draft will take place virtually instead of in-person, but the first round will be available to view on MLSsoccer.com this Thursday.
Eligible players include college seniors, Generation adidas signings and players who have opted to play in a domestic pro league and waived their eligibility to compete in college. This year, a few of the top targets include Clemson midfielder Philip Mayaka, Virginia Tech midfielder Daniel Pereira and Wake Forest forward Calvin Harris - all three expected to sign Generation adidas deals.
Last year, Inter Miami CF took Clemson forward Robbie Robinson with the first pick while a pair of defenders followed - Indiana's Jack Maher went to Nashville SC while Miami went with Georgetown's Dylan Nealis having acquired the third pick via a 2019 trade with Cincinnati.
Some of the most notable names in MLS history have been selected in the SuperDraft including Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution, 2004, 8th overall), Michael Bradley (New York Red Bulls, 2004, 36th overall), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA, 2005, 2nd overall) and Carlos Bocanegra (Chicago Fire, 2000, 4th overall).
Over the years, Republic FC has managed to attract a number of the former draftees to wearing an Old Glory Red kit and help to compete for USL Championship silverware. Since the Indomitable Club's inaugural campaign in 2014, a total of 17 former and current Republic FC players have been selected in the draft including SRFC GM Todd Dunivant who was selected sixth overall in the 2003 draft before going on to win five MLS Cup trophies.
Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu was selected with the 46th pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft by Atlanta United.
Heading into the 2021 USL Championship campaign, the Indomitable Club's roster dons seven players who starred at the collegiate level and went on to get selected by a topflight club. Two of those names are new to the club - goalkeeper Tomas Gomez and Tucker Bone - while Mitchell Taintor returns to Republic FC after a season with San Antonio FC. Returning to the team this season are Cameron Iwasa, Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu, Jordan McCrary and Kharlton Belmar all heard their names called on draft day.
Of all the players who have donned the Old Glory Red kit for Republic FC, here's a list of each player selected in the SuperDraft:
Tucker Bone (Seattle Sounders FC, 2019, 20th overall)
Drew Skundrich (LA Galaxy, 2018, 40th overall)
Tomas Hilliard-Arce (LA Galaxy, 2018, 2nd overall)
Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu (Atlanta United, 2017, 46th overall)
Justin Schmidt (Real Salt Lake, 2017, 35th overall)
Jordan McCrary (New England Revolution, 2016, 10th overall)
Mitchell Taintor (Toronto FC, 2016, 59th overall)
Chase Minter (Columbus Crew, 2016, 21st overall)
Cole Seiler (Vancouver Whitecaps, 2016, 16th overall)
Kharlton Belmar (Portland Timbers, 2015, 34th overall)
Cameron Iwasa (Montreal Impact, 2015, 65th overall)
Stefano Bonomo (New York Red Bulls, 2015, 39th overall)
Tomas Gomez (Columbus Crew, 2015, 60th overall)
Mackenzie Pridham (Vancouver Whitecaps, 2014, 58th overall)
JJ Koval (San Jose Earthquakes, 2014, 9th overall)
Jeremy Hall (New York Red Bulls, 2009, 11th overall)
Todd Dunivant (San Jose Earthquakes, 2003, 6th overall)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 21, 2021
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Indy Eleven
- United Soccer League and New Mexico United Announce 2021 Season Format and Start Dates - New Mexico United
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Birmingham Legion FC
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Charleston Battery
- Usl Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Austin Bold FC
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - OKC Energy FC
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Charlotte Independence
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - Loudoun United FC
- USL Championship Announces 2021 Season Format - USL
- USL Announces 2021 Start Dates, Season Format - Louisville City FC
- USL Championship Finalizes Start Date, Season Format for FC Tulsa's 2021 Season - FC Tulsa
- Goalkeeper Connor Sparrow Inks Deal with The Miami FC - Miami FC
- Oakland Brings Aboard DR Congo International Bokila - Oakland Roots
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Sign Preston Kilwien - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- SuperDraft Selections Have SRFC History - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Signs Defender Axel Sjoberg - San Antonio FC
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Third Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Paolo Vela - New Mexico United
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Second Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Lamar Bynum - New Mexico United
- FC Tulsa Signs Defender Modou Jadama for Second Stint with Club - FC Tulsa
- Haitian International Mechack Jerome Returns for Third Season with El Paso Locomotive - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Coronado Arrives in OKC - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Todd Dunivant to Serve as Next Republic FC President Following Ben Gumpert Announcement to Step Down
- An Open Letter of Thanks: It Takes a Republic
- Official Club Statement: February 26, 2021
- Third Edition of Republic FC Kickstart Grant Program to Highlight Women-Owned, Small Businesses Throughout March
- Around the Leagues: USWNT Grabs SheBelieves Cup Glory