Sundogs Edge out Cutthroats in Shootout, 5-4
Prescott Valley, AZ - The Arizona Sundogs edged out the Cutthroats Friday night in a 5-4 victory at the Denver Coliseum. The Cutthroats forced the game into a five-round shootout tying the game in the final minutes of regulation.
The Sundogs came out strong Friday night as they scored three goals in the opening period. Jake Hauswirth opened Arizona's scoring 1:41 into the first period. Kevin Petovello and Matt Tassone were credited with the Sundogs' two additional goals. Arizona's defense held strong against Denver giving them little opportunity to bury the puck.
Denver began the second frame with a three goal deficit, but quickly closed the gap just over a minute in with a wrister from Joel Chouinard . Halfway through the period, Arizona's Chad Nehring found the back of the net with a shot from the left crease. The Cutthroats immediately answered back with a quick unassisted back hander from Troy Schwab, cutting the Sundogs' lead in half.
The Cutthroats tie up the game in the final two and a half minutes of regulation forcing the game into overtime. Denver's Aaron MacKenzie chipped the puck past Arizona's netminder Adam Russo and Markus Lauridsen lit the lamp with a wide open short-handed goal after A.J. Gale was called for hooking. With the game undecided in overtime, both teams headed into a five-round shootout. Derek LeBlanc and Denver's Gale both found the back of the net but it was Petovello who was credited with the game winning goal when he scored in the fifth round.
Petovello scored his first goal of the season and registered two goals and one assist tonight. Denver outshot the Sundogs 36-30 and Russo had 32 saves. Both teams came up short tonight on the power play, Sundogs 0-3 and Cutthroats 0-2. The Sundogs finish their 10 day road trip tomorrow night against the Denver Cutthroats.
The Arizona Sundogs are the Central Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes. Season tickets, mini-plan, and single-game ticket information is now available by calling (928) 759-6600 or visiting arizonasundogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 21, 2012
- Sundogs Edge out Cutthroats in Shootout, 5-4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Come Back, But Fall Short in 5-4 Shootout Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Shut out by Thunder - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Thunder Bounce Back by Blanking Brahmas 4-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Shoot Down Tulsa 5-4 - Quad City Mallards
- Gron's Hat Trick Buries Rush 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Gron Hat Trick Leads Blaze Past Rush - Bloomington Blaze
- Road Curse Continues as Tulsa Falls to Quad City 5-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point for December 21, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.