Strong Island tops Maryland 131-123
Rockville, MD -- Gregory Plummer scored 39 points and Michael Campbell came up one assist shy for his second consecutive triple-double to lead the first place Sound over the Nighthawks 131-123.
A night after losing to the defending ABA champion Rochester Razorsharks, the Nighthawks got off to a quick start opening the game with a 15-4 lead. After the Strong Island called a timeout, they went on a run of their own finishing the quarter on a 26-12 run to take a 30-27 lead heading into the second quarter.
After trading baskets most of the second period, the Sound outscored the Nighthawks 13-6 in the final 4:16 of the first half to extend their lead to 12 heading into half time.
The Sound picked up where they left off and extended their lead to 85-61 on two Darren Phillips free throws with 8:24 remaining in the third period. Nighthawks' head coach Keith Williams called time out and went with a more athletic and faster line up. Arthur Lewis and Barry Mitchell lead the way as the Nighthawks made a spectacular run, outscoring the Sound 35-13 to end the third period and pull to within 96-98.
The Sound however would not let the Nighthawks pull off a dramatic victory. The Sound regained a double-digit lead behind the clutch performances of Gregory Plummer (game high 39 points) and Michael Campbell (27 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists), and outscored the Nighthawks 33-27.
Dennis Edwards led the Nighthawks with 31 points on 15 of 18 shooting while Barry Mitchell chipped in with 18 points.
The Nighthawks dropped to 2-3 on the season, while the Sound improved to 3-2 and built a 1.5 game lead over the Nighthawks in the Blue Central Division.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from November 19, 2006
- Strong Island tops Maryland 131-123 - Maryland NightHawks
- No Miracle for Mississippi as Aeros win 118-92 - Arkansas Aeros
- Noise fight off sluggish start to defeat Vision 101-88 - Knoxville Noise
- Texas wins sixth straight, defeating the Waco Wranglers 140-133 - Texas Tycoons
- Noise get first road win, 107-105 - Knoxville Noise
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland NightHawks Stories
- Maryland Nighthawks Select Trikz and Pat da Roc in 2008 PBL Draft
- Maryland Nighthawks Announce 2008-2009 Tryout Camp
- Nighthawks Begin "Believe In Your Dreams" Tour
- Nighthawks Upset Wilmington 125-112 in First Round of Playoffs, Advance
- NightHawks Fall To Dallas In Regular Season Finale 129-108