Storm's Lawrence Samuels Named AFL Hall of Fame Finalist
TAMPA BAY - Lawrence Samuels, who played 15 seasons (1994-00, 02-10) with the Tampa Bay Storm, has been nominated by the Arena Football Hall of Fame Advisory Board as one of ten finalists for the Arena Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013.
Samuels, whose career spanned 16 seasons, played in 207 games for the Storm. The two-way player starred at the wide receiver and linebacker positions, finishing his Storm career as the franchise leader in receptions (967), receiving yards (11,078), receiving touchdowns (160), points scored (1,076), fumble recoveries (32), forced fumbles (20) and tackles (455.5).
The five-time All-Arena selection, and three-time ArenaBowl Champion, ended his career as the AFL's all-time leading wide receiver and first player in AFL history to record 1,000 receptions; the sixth player ever in professional football history to reach that milestone. Through the course of his playing career, Samuels was also a three-time All-Ironman team member. He was the first player to earn both MVP and Ironman of the Game honors in a championship game for his performance in ArenaBowl XVII.
If elected, Samuels would be the eighth member of the franchise to be enshrined in the AFL Hall of Fame, joining Jay Gruden, George LaFrance, Sylvester Bembery, Stevie Thomas, Joe March, Craig Walls (Pittsburgh Gladiators), and former head coach Tim Marcum.
Fans and current Hall of Fame members will be able to vote on the finalists beginning on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 1:00PM EST, and voting can be found at www.arenafootball.com. Voting ends on Friday, July 26. At the end of the voting period, the votes will then be turned into the Hall of Fame Operating Board of Directors.
The 2013 Hall of Fame Class will be announced during the 2013 Conference Championship weekend and inductions will be held during the 2014 Arena Football League regular season.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from June 24, 2013
- Steve Papin Leads Trio of Former SaberCats Named as 2013 HOF Finalists - San Jose SaberCats
- Former Barnstormers Coach John Gregory Nominated for AFL Hall of Fame - Iowa Barnstormers
- Rush Coach Bob McMillen Named Finalist for AFL Hall of Fame - Chicago Rush
- Despite Loss, Rattlers Still Atop AFL vPower Rankings - Tampa Bay Storm
- Storm's Lawrence Samuels Named AFL Hall of Fame Finalist - Tampa Bay Storm
- Former VooDoo QB Andy Kelly Nominated for AFL Hall of Fame - New Orleans VooDoo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Storm Stories
- Tampa Bay Storm to Suspend Operations, Effective Immediately
- 2018 TAMPA BAY Storm Cheerleader PREP CLASS
- ALBANY AFL NAMES LES MOSS AS ASSISTANT HEAD COACH
- ALBANY AFL ANNOUNCES OPEN HOUSE EVENT AT TIMES UNION CENTER
- AFL Albany AFL Names Chris Thompson Director of Football