Steel Come Up Short Against Janesville at Home
CHIPPEWA FALLS, WI - The Chippewa Steel took to their home ice on Friday night for a weekend series with the Janesville Jets. The Steel suited up in their superhero attire in for the "Superhero Night" promotion presented by Marshfield Clinic Health System. The Chippewa Steel took part in tonight's promotion to raise funds for CLIMB (Children's Lives Include Moments of Bravery), a free six-week course that provides emotional support to kids who have a parent or loved one diagnosed with cancer.
The Chippewa Steel started Trent Burnham in goal along with the Szmul-Kiecker-Olson-Dirks line with Jackson Decker and Luke Farthing on defense. The first period was full of scoring opportunities for both teams. The Jets were the first to get on the board early in the period, but their lead didn't last long. Kyler Fenton found the back of the cage for the first time in a Steel jersey, his second of the year. Shortly after it was Jackson Decker adding another goal, putting the Steel ahead for the first time in the game. Despite holding the late lead, the Jets were able to capitalized on a turnover opportunity and tied things up at 2-2 to end the period.
The second period was a tough one for the Steel. A few mishandled turnovers allowed the Jets to jump ahead by three goals. Despite trailing on the scoreboard, the Steel out-shot the Jets 16-9 and were aggressive on their three power play opportunities. After two periods of play it was Janesville holding onto their advantage of 5-2.
Chippewa wasn't ready to quit in the third period. Luke Farthing chipped away at the Jets lead scoring his 10thgoal of the season - that goal being his 8th goal of the season against the Jets. The scoring chances continued to come for the Steel, but Janesville was able to hold on and come away victorious with a final score of 5-3.
The Steel will head to Janesville Saturday night with hopes of splitting the weekend series with the Jets. Chippewa will then head to Cloquet, MN next Friday and Saturday for their final faceoff of the season with the Minnesota Wilderness. The Steel will return home to Chippewa on Sunday, March 1st to face the Minnesota Magicians. Sunday afternoon's promotion is Faith & Family Day at Chippewa Area Ice Arena with puck drop coming at 3:10 p.m. For tickets call 715-861-2131 or visit chippewasteelhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2020
- Lone Star Defeats Corpus Christi 4-2 Friday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Shootout Slips Past Bruins, Drop Tight Game to Wings 3-2 - Austin Bruins
- Bulls Top Bugs - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Special Teams Shine as Bulls Down Mudbugs in Battle of the Bodies - Amarillo Bulls
- Hansson, Finstrom Score Two, West Stops 47 as Rebels Drop Titans - Jamestown Rebels
- Steel Come Up Short Against Janesville at Home - Chippewa Steel
- Hawks Shine During League's Top Prospect Event - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Matt Guerra Commits to Robert Morris University Colonials - Lone Star Brahmas
- Home Sweet Odde - Aberdeen Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.