Stealth's Doug Locker wins 2013 NLL General Manager of the Year award
EVERETT, Wash. - Washington Stealth General Manager Doug Locker has been named the National Lacrosse League General Manager of the Year for the 2013 NLL season.
Locker, currently in his 10th year with the franchise and fourth season as general manager, helped guide the Stealth to second place in the West Division with a 9-7 record during the regular season. It marked an impressive turnaround from the 2012 campaign that saw Washington miss the playoffs with a 4-12 record.
"This award, which I'm very humbled by, does not come without the support of great ownership, an outstanding coaching staff, and a group of players who perform week in and week out," Locker said.
Despite not having a first-round selection in the 2012 NLL Entry Draft, Locker added several rookies in the later rounds who played key roles alongside the team's returning core to vastly improve upon last year's performance.
"Credit not only to our young players who all stepped up but also to the veterans who supported the changes that were made," Locker added.
Locker manages all of the Stealth's lacrosse operations duties by coordinating scouting and draft preparation, contract negotiations, player transactions, coaching staff management and team travel. He also serves as the team's Vice President and Alternate Governor and is the chairman of the NLL's Competition Committee.
Under Locker's direction, Washington won the 2010 NLL Championship at home and reached the title game again in 2011.
Edmonton Rush general manager and head coach Derek Keenan was the runner-up for the award while Toronto Rock general manager and assistant coach Terry Sanderson finished third in the voting.
The 2013 NLL General Manager of the Year Award was determined by a vote of the league's Board of Governors and General Managers.
On Saturday, the Stealth seek its third West Division Final postseason win in the last four years when the team visits the Calgary Roughnecks. Getting underway at 3:30 p.m. PDT from Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome, the NLL West Division Final is televised live on the CBS Sports Network and available in the Seattle market on Comcast channel 412 and DIRECTV channel 613.
The winner of the West Division Final advances to the NLL Championship Game presented by Reebok the following weekend.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 30, 2013
- Minnesota Swarm's East Division Finals Matchup Will Feature national Television Audience - Minnesota Swarm
- Stealth's Doug Locker wins 2013 NLL General Manager of the Year award - Washington Stealth
- Troy Cordingley Wins NLL Head Coach of the Year - Toronto Rock
- Stealth's Doug Locker Wins 2013 NLL General Manager of the Year Award - NLL
- Rock's Troy Cordingley Wins 2013 NLL Les Bartley Head Coach of the Year Award - NLL
- Wings, IMG Performance and AILA to Host Nationals, Convention - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Stealth Stories
- Stealth's bid falls short as Rochester gets second straight Champions Cup
- Stealth championship "Fan Bus" makes travel to Langley, B.C. easy
- Stealth's Rhys Duch and Mike Grimes named to 2013 NLL All-Pro Team
- Stealth Win West, Advance to Third NLL Championship Game
- Washington Stealth to Play NLL Championship Game in Langley, B.C.