Sounders FC Announce Community Shield Match on February 29
RENTON, Wash. - The Seattle Sounders FC announced plans for the club's third annual "Community Shield" match which will take place on Wednesday, February 29 at 7 p.m. on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. The Sounders FC will face the Jaguares de Chiapas of the Primera Division de México in a preseason match. This year's match will be free of charge but the team is encouraging fans to pay it forward. Donations will be accepted at the gates for the team's charity partners.
Proceeds from the match will benefit the team's five community partners: America SCORES Seattle, Boys & Girls Clubs (King Co. & Bellevue), Special Olympics Washington, Washington Global Health and Washington Youth Soccer.
The Community Shield match is presented by adidas. During a halftime presentation, adidas will make a $2,000 donation to Sounders FC community partners and will host many of their youth soccer clubs at the match.
Gates will open at 6 p.m. Seating is first come, first serve throughout the lower east bowl.
The model for the event is based upon the "Charity or Community Shield" matches in England, where they are a long standing tradition featuring the champions of the FA Premier League against the winners of the FA Cup with all proceeds going to charity.
Sounders FC first regular season MLS match is on March 17 versus Toronto FC on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. PT.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 9, 2012
- Impact Launches Academy Soccer Festival - Montreal Impact
- Impact Plays Portland on Friday - Montreal Impact
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Announces 2012 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Single Match Tickets to Go on Sale Monday - Seattle Sounders FC
- New Start Time Announced for Dynamo Match at Kansas City - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Four Key Cogs for 2012 Season and Beyond - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC and KSMO-TV to Continue Television Rights Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA and GRIP Together in Anti Gang Program - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Sign Two-Time MLS Leading Goal Scorer Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo, Kroger Announce Founding Partnership - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Announce Community Shield Match on February 29 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Reveal 2012 Local Television Schedule - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC to Visit Sacramento Republic FC in Fourth Round of 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Three Sounders FC Players Enter Standard USL Loan Agreements
- Svensson, Torres and Lodeiro Take Next Steps Toward 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia
- Sounders FC Surrenders Late Goal in 1-0 Road Loss to Portland
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - May 13, 2018