Soul's Carlos "Chile" Farias Receives MISL Player of the Month
TAMPA, Fla. - The Major Indoor Soccer League announced its Players of the Month for January on Wednesday, with the Chicago Soul's Carlos Farias being named Offensive Player of the Month, the Missouri Comets' Leo Gibson taking Defensive Player of the Month honors and the Milwaukee Wave's Marcel Feenstra taking Goalkeeper of the Month honors.
Selections were based on individual performances in games played through January 31, with nominations being received throughout the month from each team in the MISL.
Chicago's Farias led the Soul into the playoff places with a remarkable 36 points during the month, with Chicago posting a 5-3 record. The former MISL Most Valuable Player recorded a point in every game, including a remarkable 13-point performance in a 24-13 victory against the Wichita Wings that saw him record a current-era MISL record with three 3-pointers. Farias more than doubled his output for the first two months of the season, and is now one of the top 10 scorers in the league.
Missouri's Gibson also set a new MISL record with his standout performances at both ends of the field. The veteran defender had 32 points during the month, including setting a new current-era MISL record with a 16-point game in the Comets' 30-17 win against Rochester on January 19. Gibson recorded hat tricks in three consecutive games, and now leads all defenders with 58 points.
Milwaukee's Feenstra earns the Wave a second consecutive Goalkeeper of the Month award, following Nick Vorberg in December, after going 4-0 with an 8.25 goals-against average in January. Feenstra did not concede more than five goals in a game in January, and now sits second in the MISL, behind his teammate, with a 0.771 save percentage.
The 2012-13 MISL season continues on Friday night as the Chicago Soul host the Rochester Lancers at the Sears Centre Arena at 8:30 p.m. ET. Also on Friday night, Baltimore Blast visit the Wichita Wings at Hartman Arena for the Wings' home finale at 8:35 p.m. ET.
Both Rochester and Baltimore's road trips continue on Sunday, with the Lancers visiting the Milwaukee Wave at U.S. Cellular Arena at 4 p.m. ET. The Blast close out their trip with a potential playoff preview as they visit the Missouri Comets at the Independence Events Center at 4:10 p.m. ET.
All of this weekend's action can be seen on MISLNation.com, with in-game updates available on Twitter (@MISLSoccer) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/MajorIndoorSoccerLeague ).
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from February 6, 2013
- WAVE Media Advisory... Sue Black Named President and CEO of Milwaukee Wave. - Milwaukee Wave
- Soul's Carlos "Chile" Farias Receives MISL Player of the Month - Chicago Soul FC
- Wings Prepared for Final Push against Blast - Wichita Wings
- Leo Gibson Named Player of the Month - Kansas City Comets
- MISL January Players of the Month Named - MISL
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights