Sockers Advance to PASL Semi-Finals with 13-4 Rout of Turlock
LAS VEGAS, NV--Kraig Chiles scored a PASL playoff record seven goals to lead the San Diego Sockers past the Turlock Express 13-4 in Leg Two of the Pacific Division playoff. The Sockers swept the two leg playoff, advancing to play Las Vegas in the Ron Newman Cup Semifinal on Sunday, March 10th at the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego.
"We came out determined tonight to put this game away early and take the life out of the Express," said Chiles, who scored ten goals over the two game playoff, including Saturday night's overtime golden goal game winner, "I thought we played well today, very patient, took our chances when we got them and cashed in. Now it's on to the semis."
After Saturday's heart stopping finish, the Express were clearly weakened by another day of travel and play. After Chiles opened the scoring less than a minute into the first quarter, Turlock's Martyn Arista was able to equalize on a roof shot over San Diego keeper Chris Toth two minutes later and the game was tied 1-1. The second quarter was a different matter entirely as the Sockers outscored the Express 7-0, including a pair of goals each for Diego Rovira and Aaron Susi.
Chiles scored his fourth and fifth of the game in the third quarter as the Sockers extended to a 10-2 lead, then potted home two more in a low pressure fourth quarter. Anthony Medina also scored for San Diego, while Eduardo Velez, Chiky Luna and Brian Farber each contributed a pair of assists.
Next up for the Sockers, a battle with the Detroit Waza in the Motor City on Saturday, March 2nd for the U.S. Open Cup Championship. The PASL semi-finals will be held March 10th in San Diego, with the championship match on March 11th. Tickets are available at (866) 799-GOAL and online at sdsockers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from February 25, 2013
- Sidekicks to Host Must-Win Playoff Match Thursday against Rio Grande Valley - Dallas Sidekicks
- Detroit Wins Quarterfinals - Waza Flo
- Sockers Advance to PASL Semi-Finals with 13-4 Rout of Turlock - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Sockers Unveil 40th Anniversary Logo to Begin the Legacy of Champions Celebration
- Sockers Announce 24-Game 2018-19 MASL Schedule Beginning December 16
- San Diego Sockers Mourn Passing of the Legendary Ron Newman
- MASL Announces Conference & Divisional Alignments
- 2018-19 MASL Home Opener Set for Sunday, December 16 for 40th Anniversary