Sky Blue FC Signs South Korean National Team Midfielder Sodam Lee
Harrison, NJ - Sky Blue FC have signed South Korean Women's National Team midfielder Sodam Lee for the 2021 NWSL season. The midfielder joins the Club on a one-year guaranteed contract with a Club option for a second year.
"I am honored to be able to start my NWSL career with the best players of Sky Blue FC," said Lee. "I am ready to dedicate myself for the team to make Sky Blue FC at the top of the NWSL table this fall. I am looking forward to training and playing with my new teammates. See you soon."
Lee, 26, joins Sky Blue from the Incheon Hyundai Steel Red Angels WFC of the WK League, the top division of South Korean women's soccer. After joining the South Korea club in 2016, Lee scored 12 goals in the past three seasons.
"We are really pleased to welcome Sodam to Sky Blue and excited for her to join our midfield," said Head Coach Freya Coombe. "She has fantastic technical ability and great tactical awareness. She can play centrally or wide and has the versatility to play deeper as a holding midfielder. She has had success in the WK League in South Korea and is now looking forward to challenging herself in the NWSL."
On the international stage, Lee appeared in the 2015 and 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup for the South Korea senior team and the FIFA U-17 and U-20 World Cups. During the U-17 World Cup, Lee scored the equalizing goal in the final match and converted on her penalty kick to help South Korea win the trophy. With the senior squad, Lee has scored six goals in 55 appearances.
"We look forward to welcoming the arrival of Sodam to Sky Blue for the upcoming season," said General Manager Alyse LaHue. "Joining the NWSL should prove to be an excellent next challenge in her career, and we feel strongly that Sodam will fit in fluidly at the Club."
Sky Blue FC begins the 2021 pre-season on February 1, with the NWSL Challenge Cup set to kick-off mid-April. The team is preparing for a 24-match season in 2021, starting in mid-May.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 5, 2021
- Sky Blue FC Signs South Korean National Team Midfielder Sodam Lee - Sky Blue FC
- OL Reign Signs Brazilian Youth International Angelina Through 2023 - OL Reign
- Orlando Pride Re-Signs Hometown Defender Carrie Lawrence - Orlando Pride
- Rylee Baisden and Havana Solaun Ink Contracts Following Stellar Fall Series Performances - North Carolina Courage
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Allocated Three Players from U.S. Soccer and Canada Soccer
- Sky Blue FC Announces 2021 Preseason Roster
- Sky Blue FC Head Coach Freya Coombe Announces 2021 Technical Staff
- Sky Blue FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper DiDi Haracic for 2021 NWSL Season
- Sky Blue FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Megan Hinz for 2021 NWSL Season