Sky Blue FC Midfielder McCall Zerboni to Miss Fall Series with Left Knee Injury
Harrison, N.J. - Sky Blue FC Midfielder McCall Zerboni will miss the 2020 NWSL fall series after tearing her left meniscus during the Challenge Cup. The California native had surgery in August and has been undergoing rehab since then.
"I am bummed to announce that I tore my left meniscus during the first match of the Challenge Cup," said Zerboni. "I pushed to play through the injury and finish the Cup, unfortunately, it became clear that I would need surgery to repair my knee to prepare for 2021. I had successful surgery in the middle of August and have begun the rehab process. I am working hard and will absolutely come back stronger than ever."
"McCall was a big player for us in the Challenge Cup and we are fortunate that she was able to manage her injury and finish the tournament," said Sky Blue FC Head Coach Freya Coombe. "I am disappointed that she will miss the fall series as she has such a presence on the field but I am looking forward to her being back and fully fit in the future."
"It was important that we not rush her back to playing this fall but focus on her long-term rehabilitation to help Sky Blue reach its goals in the future," stated General Manager Alyse LaHue. "She was an absolute warrior to power through the Challenge Cup with this injury and lead us into the Semifinals, so now it's time for us to be here for her and help her in this recovery journey."
Zerboni, 33, joined Sky Blue in January 2020 bringing her signature high-energy, vocal leadership to the Club. The midfielder started all five of her Challenge Cup appearances and completed just under 80% of her passes.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 4, 2020
- RSL Basketball Academy Announces Bantam Youth Program with Althos Academy of Utah - Utah Royals FC
- Dash Re-Sign Defenders Katie Naughton & Megan Oyster - Houston Dash
- NWSL Announces Verizon Community Shield - OL Reign
- NWSL and Verizon Launch the Verizon Community Shield Competition - NWSL
- Sky Blue FC Announces 2020 NWSL Fall Series Roster - Sky Blue FC
- OL Reign Signs Three Players to Short-Term Contracts - OL Reign
- Sky Blue FC Midfielder McCall Zerboni to Miss Fall Series with Left Knee Injury - Sky Blue FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Forward Paige Monaghan to Host Charity Auction for Hometown Social Services
- Sky Blue FC Defender Midge Purce Named to USWNT Training Camp Roster for Friendly against the Netherlands
- Sky Blue FC Defender Kaleigh Riehl and Midfielder Jennifer Cudjoe Selected by Racing Louisville FC in 2020 Expansion Draft
- Sky Blue FC Announces End of Year Roster Statuses Entering 2020-21 Offseason
- Sky Blue FC Forward Paige Monaghan Named Budweiser Woman of the Week