Silverbacks Men Sit Out 2009 Season
ATLANTA- The Atlanta Silverbacks announced today that the Atlanta Silverbacks Men's professional team will take the 2009 season off.
Due to the state of the economy and the potential of an MLS team coming to town, the men's pro team has decided to sit the year out while the Silverbacks assess the landscape.
"This was an extremely difficult decision that was prompted by the dynamic events in our economy and the soccer community. We would like to thank all of our fans and partners who have supported the team over the years and hope they continue to come out to the Women's games," said Atlanta Silverbacks General Manager, Michael Oki.
The Silverbacks Men had an impressive 2007 season, advancing to the USL League Finals and also received player accolades as David Hayes was named Defender of the Year. In 2008, after a host of injuries and close games, the Silverbacks ended an up-and-down season after being just shy of clinching a playoff spot.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from November 18, 2008
- Silverbacks Men Sit Out 2009 Season - Atlanta Silverbacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Silverbacks Stories
- Goal of the Year: Burgos Buries 2015 Honor
- Junior Delivers Team of the Week Performance in Finale
- Silverbacks Stall Fall Season Champions to Split Points
- Preview: Silverbacks to Close Regular Season vs. Ottawa
- Silverbacks Surge into Minnesota #MNUvATLÃ¢=9A=BD