Shewchuk, Gajic named to All-Rookie team
DENVER - Colorado Mammoth forward Jamie Shewchuk and transition player Nenad Gajic have been named to the 2007 National Lacrosse League All-Rookie team.
Shewchuk, 22, led NLL rookies with 26 assists this season and was the Mammoth's fourth-leading scorer with 53 points. The Edmonton, Alberta, native was named the league's top rookie for Week 5 after a three-goal performance against Edmonton. Shewchuk, the Mammoth's second selection and 25th overall pick in the 2006 NLL entry draft, helped the team to a 12-4 record and the West Division title.
Gajic, 24, tallied 37 points this season and ranked second on the Mammoth with 102 loose balls. The Burnaby, British Columbia, native earned the NLL's February rookie of the month honor and won the transition player of the week award for Week 8.
"We put a lot of faith in both of these guys," Mammoth general manager Steve Govett said. "They came in and improved our team right away, so it was easy for the coaching staff to keep putting them on the floor in key situations."
Shewchuk and Gajic joined the list of Mammoth players named to the All-Rookie team, joining Dan Carey (2006) and Brian Langtry (2003 rookie of the year).
Toronto Rock forward Ryan Benesch was named the league's rookie of the year. Joining Shewchuk, Gajic and Benesch on the All-Rookie team are Geoff Snider and Athan Ianucci of the Philadelphia Wings, and Bill McGlone of the Chicago Shamrox.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from May 8, 2007
- Toronto Rock's Ryan Benesch Named 2007 Rookie Of The Year - Toronto Rock
- Wings' Iannucci and Snider Named To 2007 NLL All-Rookie Team - Philadelphia Wings
- Shewchuk, Gajic named to All-Rookie team - Colorado Mammoth
- Chicago Shamrox Makes NLL All-Rookie Team - Chicago Shamrox
- Benesch Named Rookie of the Year, All-Rookie Team revealed - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Mammoth Stories
- Colorado Mammoth Add Natural Scorers and Big Bodies in 2018 NLL Entry Draft
- Mammtoh Retiring Lacrosse Legend John Grant, Jr.'s No. 24 on March 24
- Five Straight Wins for the Colorado Mammoth
- Four Straight Wins for the Mammoth
- Mammoth Aiming for Fourth Consecutive Win on Military Appreciation Night