San Antonio FC Adds Defender Liam Doyle and Midfielder Ethan Bryant to Roster
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has signed defender Liam Doyle from Memphis 901 FC, the club announced today. In addition, SAFC has signed midfielder and San Antonio native Ethan Bryant for the remainder of the 2020 season. Per team policy, the terms of the deals were not disclosed.
"As a staff, we are delighted to welcome Liam and re-welcome Ethan to the SAFC family," said SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina. "Liam is a great communicator and organizer of the backline, and he will provide valuable experience to the roster. Ethan is a fantastic homegrown talent that now has a year of European experience that will add to the already strong midfield group."
Doyle appeared in eight matches (579 minutes) for Memphis this season, recording 42 clearances, nine interceptions and six blocks. The 6-4 center-back has become a league presence, appearing in 115 matches since the 2016 season, compiling 9,932 minutes over that span. The 28-year-old began his career with the Harrisburg City Islanders in 2016 before helping lead the Swope Park Rangers to the 2017 USL Championship the following season. Doyle made 48 appearances for Nashville FC from 2018-19 prior joining Memphis 901 FC midway through the 2019 season. The former Ohio State Buckeye was originally drafted by DC United in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft prior to signing for Harrisburg.
"I am extremely grateful to be joining such a fantastic organization," said Doyle. "It is a fantastic opportunity for me and my family and one we had to grab with both hands. When Alen [Marcina] reached out and explained the culture, structure and facilities at the club, it was an opportunity I couldn't turn down."
Bryant returns to San Antonio FC where he spent parts of the 2018-19 seasons prior to moving to KSV Roeselare in the Belgium second division. In two seasons with San Antonio, Bryant appeared in 16 league matches, compiling 1,225 minutes played. The 19-year-old scored two goals and recorded three assists with the Alamo City club, while also appearing in two Open Cup matches. Originally discovered by the club after participating in the SAFC Pro Academy's Elite Training Program, Bryant trained with the first team under observation during the 2017 season prior to being added to the roster in 2018. The midfielder returns to San Antonio for the remainder of the season after becoming the second-youngest player to debut for the club when he made his first appearance at age 16.
"I'm super excited to be back," said Bryant. "Obviously the team has been doing really well, so I'm just happy the staff and the whole club has the faith in me. I'm going to do whatever I can to help the team."
Following today's transactions, the SAFC roster currently stands at 26. Doyle will wear no. 15 for the club, while Bryant will wear no. 18.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2020
- Reno Looks to Keep Lead on Group a in Trip to Portland - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Notes, SAFC vs. OKC Energy FC 9.19.20 - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes - Phoenix Rising FC
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Liam Doyle and Midfielder Ethan Bryant to Roster - San Antonio FC
- Charlotte Independence v North Carolina FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- SD Loyal Travels to Arizona to Face First Place Phoenix Rising FC - San Diego Loyal
- Republic FC Go Gold for Childhood Cancer Awareness Night Presented by UC Davis Health - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Visit El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Tacoma Defiance - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Memphis - Louisville City FC
- OC Back at Home against Vegas - Orange County SC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 3-2 Thursday Evening at Reno 1868 FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Clinches Fourth-Straight Trip to Playoffs in 3-2 Win - Reno 1868 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC