Saints Re-Sign .300 Hitter Willie Cabrera
ST. PAUL, MN (January 31, 2013) - Say one thing about St. Paul Saints outfielder Willie Cabrera: he doesn't get cheated when he steps to the plate. Known for a "swing as hard as you can" approach, Cabrera was one of the best hitters on the 2012 Saints team. He will be back patrolling the outfield in 2013 as he was re-signed by manager George Tsamis.
The 26-year-old Cabrera hit a career high .313 last season with his second best power output, 11 homeruns, and 56 RBI while playing 72 games. In 284 at bats he scored 48 runs, had 13 doubles while striking out just 24 times. He slugged a career best .475 and his .354 on base percentage was his second best output in that category during his seven professional seasons. He also tied a career high with five RBI on August 21 vs. the Rockland Boulders.
Cabrera began his career in the Braves organization and was a 14th round draft and follow in 2005. After hitting over .300 in rookie ball in 2006 he spent 2007 at Single-A and High-A. He hit a career high 16 homers between High-A Myrtle Beach and Double-A Mississippi in 2008. After spending all of 2009 at Double-A, he saw some time in Triple-A in 2010 & 2011.
Cabrera spent the 2012 season between the Atlanta Braves Double-A team in Mississippi and Triple-A club in Gwinnett. Between the two stops he hit .256 with five homers and 50 RBI in 102 games. In 395 at bats he scored 48 runs, had 13 doubles, five triples, a .303 on base percentage and a .352 slugging percentage. He is a hitter that puts the ball in play striking out just 38 times all season.
During the off-season the Saints have signed six players, five pitchers and one position player. The Saints 2013 season begins on Thursday, May 16 with a 7:05 p.m. home game against the New Jersey Jackals.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from January 31, 2013
- Wingnuts Mourn Loss of Coach - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Re-Sign .300 Hitter Willie Cabrera - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- A Chance for Dreams to Become Reality, Saints to Hold Open Tryouts May 3
- Saints Getting a New Home...On Radio, All 100 Games, Playoffs Broadcast on IHeart's Alt 93.3 FM
- Veteran Help: Saints Sign Former Big League Pitcher, Cretin-Derham Hall Star, Jake Esch, Triple-A Catcher Justin O'Conner
- Saints Add Triple-A Outfield Speed, Solid Arm with Signing of Chad Hinshaw and Matt Solter
- Saints 25-Year Documentary, for the Fun of the Game, to be Featured as Part of "Insiders Series" for Twin Cities Film Fest