Rock Cats Roster - and Local Player - Impacted by Rule V Draft Today
New Britain, CT â With the annual Rule V Draft taking place over the last 24 hours at the 2010 Baseball Winter Meetings in Orlando, FL, the Minnesota Twins â parent club to the New Britain Rock Cats â had three Pitchers assigned to the New Britain roster selected by other teams. Only one of the three â 23-year-old Michael Allen - had actually performed in a Rock Cats uniform.
RHP Michael Allen, a 6'3"/220-pound native of Orange Park, FL, was selected by the Washington Nationals in the Minor League phase of the Draft. Williams made 16 relief appearances for the 2010 Rock Cats and concluded his only campaign in the Hardware City with a record of 1-1 and 7.84 ERA. In his five seasons in the Twins' system, Allen posted a composite record of 9-16 with a 4.41 ERA;
LHP Jean Mijares, a 5'11"/150-pound native of Ocumare del Tuy, Venezuela, was selected off the New Britain roster by the St. Louis Cardinals in the Minor League portion of the Draft. The slender southpaw never appeared in New Britain; in five seasons at various lower levels within the Minnesota organization, Mijares posted a 6-8/4.32 mark. He is the younger brother of former Rock Cat and current Twin, Jose Mijares;
RHP Eliecer Cardenas, a 6'2"/220-pound native of Santo Domingo, DR, was taken by the Atlanta Braves in the Minor League portion of the Draft. The big righty spent five seasons in the Twins' organization and departs after posting MiLB career marks of 16-7 and 2.62 ERA.
------------------------------------------ The Twins also made an acquisition in this Rule V process, picking LHP Scott Diamond from the Atlanta Braves' Triple-A Gwinnett roster. A native of Guelph, Ontario and product of the University of Binghamton, the big lefty was the 12th player picked in the Major League phase of the Draft. He was an impressive 4-1/3.36 with Gwinnett in 2010.
Local Note: Rocky Hill native Pat Egan â the 6'8" hurler who pitched at Quinnipiac â was selected today in the Major League phase of the Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers. A member of the Baltimore Orioles' organization since his signing in 2007, Pat was the 9th player chosen and now has an excellent opportunity to make his Major League debut next season with Milwaukee.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from December 9, 2010
- Tom McCarthy Added to 2011 Phillies Winter Banquet - Reading Fightin Phils
- Rock Cats Roster - and Local Player - Impacted by Rule V Draft Today - New Britain Rock Cats
- Wreaths Across America Ceremony Saturday at the Diamond - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Rock Cats Stories
- Rock Cats to Hold Season Ending Blowout Sale Tomorrow and Friday
- Dramatic Patterson Walk-Off HR Lifts Lid off New Britain Stadium in Rock Cats Finale
- DÃ©ja Vu: Morneau's Homer Wins It for Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Set New Single Game Attendance Record at New Britain Stadium 8,672
- Morneau Returns Before Record Crowd, But Cats Lose