Richards' goal leads Reno to win over Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS - On a scorching night in Las Vegas, Reno 1868 FC shut down Lights FC to leave the desert with three points and a first-place spot in Group A. The 1-0 win was powered by captain Brent Richards' early goal, and a clean sheet from rookie keeper Eric De La Cerda.
"I thought it was a really good away performance for us," said head coach Ian Russell. "I thought the first half was one of the best halves all year, if not the last two or three years. But we've got to do better in the final third. We should've had two or three more goals in the first half."
From the opening kickoff, Reno was attacking and controlling possession. After multiple good chances, a perfectly-placed free kick from midfielder Christiano François found the outstretched foot of Richards. The goal was Richards' first of the season, and fourth in his career with Reno.
François' assist was his second of the season, tops on the team. The midfielder now leads the team in goals and assists.
Reno would continue attacking for the first half, but couldn't find the back of the net again.
The second half opened up all Reno, before the boys in blue weathered a late surge from Lights FC. De La Cerda would finish with six saves, and the flurry of shots from Vegas ended up meaningless. The six saves are tied for the fourth-most in a single game in club history, tying Ben Beaury's mark from July 19 at Sacramento.
By the end of the game, Reno was outshot by Las Vegas 19-9.
Reno ends the season-opening four-game road trip with three wins and a first-place position in Group A. The nine points are the most through four games in club history.
"It was a rough road trip ... quick turnaround, it was over a hundred degrees but it doesn't matter, not excuses," added Russell. "We've got a bunch of warriors in the locker room, they want to fight and win."
Reno returns home for three straight games at Greater Nevada Field, starting next Saturday, August 8, against Tacoma Defiance. Kickoff is set for 7:15 p.m. PT, and will be broadcast locally on NSN and ESPN Radio 94.5, and nationally on ESPN+.
Lineup: Eric De La Cerda, Brent Richards©, Thomas Janjigian (Jared Timmer 73'), Tony Alfaro, Sam Gleadle (Younes Boudadi 87'), Sergio Rivas (Emilio Ycaza 87'), Kevin Partida, Tucker Bone, Christiano François, Corey Hertzog (Foster Langsdor 51'), Benji Kikanovic (Mo Dabo 73')
Unused Subs: Sebastian Mora, Aidan Apodaca
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 2, 2020
- Hartford Dominates Loudoun, 4-1 - Hartford Athletic
- Athletic Look to Bounce Back from First Loss of 2020 - Hartford Athletic
- FC Tulsa Earn First Win of 2020 with 2-1 Victory at Rio Grande Valley FC - FC Tulsa
- Toros Fall to FC Tulsa at Home - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Sacramento Republic FC claim a point on the road after a scoreless draw against San Diego Loyal SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Richards' goal leads Reno to win over Las Vegas - Reno 1868 FC
- Rising Wins, 3-1, Returns to Casino Arizona Field Next Saturday, August 8 - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Richards' goal leads Reno to win over Las Vegas
- Reno Looks to Cap Road Trip with Win over Rival Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno 1868 Pounds Portland 4-1 in First Win Since Restart
- Reno Heads to Portland for Matchup with T2
- Nevada Sports Net to Carry All Remaining Reno 1868 FC Games