Republic FC Continue Playoffs Push with 2-1 Road Win over Austin Bold FC
AUSTIN, Texas (September 11, 2019) - Cameron Iwasa tied the club's all-time record for assists in league play (16) as Republic FC climbed up to fourth place in the Western Conference with a 2-1 win over Austin Bold FC on Wednesday night in Texas.
Simon Elliott's men are now one massive step closer to hosting a potential home playoff game, as the win moves SRFC into fourth in the Western Conference standings with seven games remaining.
The visitors opened the score in the 23rd minute when Drew Skundrich picked out Iwasa at the top of the box who held up the ball before finding an open Thomas Enevoldsen at the far post. The Danish striker calmly nestled his left-footed shot on his first touch to give Republic FC the early lead. The assist was Iwasa's 16th in Old Glory Red and tied him with Danny Barrera for the all-time club record.
Republic FC doubled their lead in the 31st minute when midfielder Dariusz Formella netted his first career goal with the club in his second career start since joining the team in mid-July. Right back Jordan McCrary whipped in a low cross from the right flank that managed to make its way across the face of goal to an unmarked Formella who squared home an easy goal to give his side a 2-0 lead. The assist was McCrary's second in as many matches.
Austin responded two minutes later and cut the deficit in half when former Dynamo Kiev striker Kleber nodded home a header at the back post.
Just before the half, goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth made a key save to keep his side in the lead with a diving attempt to his right. Bold FC midfielder Ema Twumasi hit a low, hard shot towards the corner that Shuttleworth was able to swat away.
Matt Mahoney then threw himself in front of a close range Andre Lima shot in the 67th minute to keep the home side at bay and preserve all three points.
The boys in Old Glory Red have a quick turnaround as Rio Grande Valley FC Toros visit Papa Murphy's Park for Republic FC's final Sunday afternoon game of the season. Kickoff for Family Day is set for 2:00 p.m. PT.
Sacramento Republic FC 2-1 Austin Bold FC
USL Championship Match
Bold Stadium, Austin, Texas
September 11, 2019
Scoring Summary: SAC - Thomas Enevoldsen (Cameron Iwasa) 23, Dariusz Formella (Jordan McCrary) 31; AUS - Kleber (Sean McFarlane) 33.
Misconduct Summary: AUS - Sonny Guadarrama (caution) 21, Amobi Okugo (caution) 65; SAC - Drew Skundrich (caution) 26, Bobby Shuttleworth (caution) 75, Villyan Bijev (caution) 87, Thomas Enevoldsen (caution) 90.
Sacramento Republic FC - Bobby Shuttleworth, Jordan McCrary, Matt Mahoney, Mitchell Taintor (Charalampos Chantzopoulos 79), Juan Barahona, Keven Aleman (Dekel Keinan 68), Jaime Villarreal, Drew Skundrich, Dariusz Formella (Villyan Bijev 60), Thomas Enevoldsen, Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Sam Werner, Hayden Partain, Stefano Bonomo.
Stats - Shots: 7, Shots on Goal: 4, Saves: 5, Fouls: 14, Corner Kicks: 7, Offsides: 2.
Austin Bold FC - Diego Restrepo; Sean McFarlane, Jermaine Taylor, Amobi Okugo, Edson Braafheid; Ema Twumasi (Francis Atuahene 76), Sonny Guadarrama (Thomas de Villardi 76), Xavier Baez, Valerii Saramutin (Roberto Avila 63); Andre Lima, Kleber.
Subs Not Used: Juan David Ramirez, London Woodberry, Demar Phillips, Calum Mallace
Stats - Shots: 24, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 2, Fouls: 15, Corner Kicks: 10, Offsides: 1.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC with possession vs. Austin Bold FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 12, 2019
- Match Preview vs. Fresno FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Home Playoff Match at Stake in Nashville SC's Final Six Matches - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. Saint Louis FC - Friday, September 13 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Charleston Battery - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- "Luces F.C." to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with $20 All-You-Can-Drink & Eat "Cerveza y Tamales". - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix's Asante Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- El Paso Locomotive FC Continue #Push4Playoffs in Inaugural Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Eintracht Frankfurt and Hertha Berlin to Meet at Al Lang Stadium - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Streaking Memphis 901 FC Travels to Loudoun United FC Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Hackworth, LouCity Back to Work Prepping for Hartford - Louisville City FC
- Eight Things You Should Know About Fan Appreciation Night - Charlotte Independence
- Republic FC Continue Playoffs Push with 2-1 Road Win over Austin Bold FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights Fight But Can't Snap Rising's Streak - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Phoenix Rising Wins 19th Straight with 1-0 Win in Las Vegas - Phoenix Rising FC
- Indy Eleven Moves to Top of the East with 2-0 Win over Ottawa Fury FC - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Nominations Now Open for Latinx Edition of Republic FC Kickstart
- In Case You Missed It: Republic FC Celebrate #MLS2Sac Anniversary with Community Partnerships & Stadium News
- Sacramento Republic FC and SCOE FC Team up to Get Kids Moving
- Republic FC's 2020 MVPs Announced
- Republic FC Kickstart Grant Program Returns with LatinX Edition for Small-Business Owners