Reno Drops Second Home Match of the Season to San Antonio FC
RENO, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC fell 4-1 to San Antonio FC tonight, just the team's second loss at Greater Nevada Field this season. Reno moves to 13-6-5, and still holds onto second place in the USL's western conference.
"This was a tough one," said head coach Ian Russell. "But that's life, we move on and get ready for the next one."
San Antonio would get on the board first with a 12th minute goal by Christian Parano. The goal was the first Reno has surrendered at home since a 3-0 loss to Phoenix Rising FC on June 18. Reno had gone 2-0 at home in July, with both wins coming by scores of 4-0.
San Antonio would add another Parano goal in the 44th minute to take a 2-0 lead into the break.
Just five minutes into the second half, Reno midfielder Eric Calvillo would earn his second yellow card of the match and be forced to exit the match. San Antonio would score in the 56th and 57th minutes to make it 4-0.
A late surge would see Reno avoid a shutout, as substitute Sam Gleadle would score his fifth goal of the season just three minutes after coming into the match. The five goals put Gleadle in second place on the team goal list.
"The one thing I was happy with was we didn't quit," said Russell. "We were down a man pretty much the whole second half but we had more shots in the second half than the first."
Reno will look to bounce back next week in a heavyweight bout on the road with Phoenix Rising FC. Phoenix won tonight to extend their first-place lead to six points. Fresno FC won as well, closing the gap between them and Reno for second place to just one point. Fresno will travel to Reno September 7 for another huge match.
Los Azules will kick off from Phoenix at 7:30 p.m. PT on Friday, and coverage can be found on ESPN+.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (18) JT Marcinkowski, D (16) Brent Richards ©, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (3) Benjamin Galindo, D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (22) Siad Haji, M (40) Raul Mendiola, M (19) Kevin Partida, F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (24) Gilbert Fuentes
GK (25) Damion Lewis, F (17) Aidan Apodaca, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (8) Will Seymore, D (2) Emrah Klimenta
Sam Gleadle 71"
Aidan Apodaca 20'
45' Aidan Apodaca Ã Siad Haji
58' Seth Casiple Ã Gilbert Fuentes
67' Sam Gleadle Ã Raul Mendiola
Eric Calvillo 14'
Gilbert Fuentes 45+5'
Eric Calvillo 50'
Kevin Partida 59'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 11, 2019
- Depleted United Falls to Portland - New Mexico United
- LouCity Crushes Atlanta United 2 in a Five-Goal Frenzy - Louisville City FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-1 at Louisville City - Atlanta United 2
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Matt Pickens Makes Massive Stop to Preserve Clean Sheet Streak - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts Atlanta United 2 - Louisville City FC
- Reno Drops Second Home Match of the Season to San Antonio FC - Reno 1868 FC
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A
- Christiano Francois and Younes Boudadi named to USL Team of the Week
- Reno Tops Portland Behind FranÃÂ§ois Brace
- Reno Looks to Keep Lead on Group a in Trip to Portland