Rematch of ArenaBowl XIX on tap this weekend
February 1, 2006 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
NEW YORK - The second week of the 2006 season features a rematch of ArenaBowl XIX when the defending ArenaBowl champion Colorado Crush (1-0) and the National Conference Champion Georgia Force (1-0) square off in Atlanta this Sunday at 1 pm ET on NBC. Georgia, winners of 11 straight regular-season home games, is looking to avenge its 51-48 last-second loss last summer. The Crush rank as the top team in this week's AFLWA Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll with Georgia right behind.
The Crush began their title defense with a 65-56 win over the Chicago Rush last weekend in Denver. QB JOHN DUTTON (6-4, 255, Nevada) picked up right where he left off last season capturing Offensive Player of the Week honors for his 291-yard, nine touchdown (one rushing) performance. OS DAMIAN HARRELL (6-3, 182, Florida State) caught the game-winner from Dutton with just one second remaining on the clock for his fourth touchdown of the afternoon.
Georgia, fueled by WR/LB CHRIS JACKSON'S (6-2, 215, Washington State) nine catches, 113 yards and three touchdowns, rolled to a 48-31 win over Orlando. Force QB MATT NAGY (6-2, 220, Delaware) posted four touchdowns and a 106.5 quarterback rating in the win over the Predators. The Force defense returned two interceptions for scores in the last minute to ensure the win.
In Philadelphia, the Soul, the no. 3 team in this week's AFLWA Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll, hope to make it two wins in a row when they take on the Los Angeles Avengers (1-0) on Sunday at 1 pm ET on NBC. Soul QB TONY GRAZIANI (6-3, 215, Oregon), who threw for 283 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for an additional score in Philadelphia's Week One win over Tampa Bay, will face his former team for the first time. Graziani spent his first four AFL seasons (2001-04) with Los Angeles and still holds every major Avengers career passing record.
Los Angeles comes off a 40-31 win over Arizona after overcoming a 21-16 deficit. Ironman of the Week WR/DB KEVIN INGRAM led the way for Los Angeles with seven catches for 126 yards and a touchdown on offense and 2.5 tackles and an interception on the defensive side of the ball.
Other AFL Week 2 contests are: Tampa Bay at Grand Rapids on Friday (AFL Net), Kansas City at Orlando on Friday (FSN Midwest, Sun Sports tape delay at 10 PM ET), Columbus at Nashville on Friday (FSN Ohio, FSN South tape delay at 11 PM ET), New York at Chicago on Friday (FSN New York tape delay time TBD, FSN Chicago, Sirius Satellite Radio), Austin at Arizona on Friday (FSN Southwest, FSN Arizona), Dallas at Utah on Saturday (KJZZ, AFL Net) and San Jose at Las Vegas on Monday (WB San Jose, AFL Net).
This Week in AFL History
February 2, 2003 - The AFL on NBC debuts to critical acclaim with four regional games.
February 2, 2003 - The expansion Colorado Crush host the Georgia Force in their inaugural game to a sellout crowd of 17,483 at Pepsi Center.
AFLWA Schutt Sports Top 12 Poll
1. Colorado Crush 1-0 (11) 143
2. Georgia Force 1-0 (1) 122
3. Philadelphia Soul 1-0 107
4. Dallas Desperados 1-0 105
5. Nashville Kats 1-0 95
6. Chicago Rush 0-1 75
7. Los Angeles Avengers 1-0 58
8. Utah Blaze 1-0 51
9. Columbus Destroyers 1-0 42
10. Austin Wranglers 1-0 41
11. San Jose SaberCats 0-1 35
1. Tampa Bay Storm 0-1 30
Also receiving votes: Orlando Predators 17, Kansas City Brigade 6, Arizona Rattlers 5, New York Dragons 4.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 1, 2006
- New York Dragons game notes - New York Dragons
- Rattlers Re-sign Groce - Arizona Rattlers
- Destroyers and FSN Ohio announce TV schedule - Columbus Destroyers
- AFL Gets its Kicks - OSC Original by Matt Khitikian
- Week two AFL injury report - AFL I
- Kansas City Brigade game notes - Kansas City Brigade
- Rematch of ArenaBowl XIX on tap this weekend - AFL I
- Gladiators sign OL/DL Bryan Ray - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Georiga Force sign QB from practice squad - Georgia Force
- Wranglers offer Seven-Game ticket package - Austin Wranglers
- Utah Blaze game notes - Utah Blaze
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders At Destroyers Game - Columbus Destroyers
- Gladiators, Sabercats Set to Clash - Las Vegas Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.