Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
Third-seeded Columbus Crew SC defeated sixth-seeded New York Red Bulls, 3-2, in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One on Saturday at MAPFRE Stadium.
Midfielder Caden Clark took full advantage of a failed clear as he ripped his shot to the right corner for the match's first goal in the 23rd minute.
Following a Dru Yearwood foul in the box, Pedro Santos converted a penalty kick three minutes later for the equalizer.
Columbus added two more early in the second half from Darlington Nagbe and Gyasi Zardes before the 70th minute.
Brian White found the back of the net as he redirected a Jared Stroud shot to cut the deficit to one, 3-2, in the 90th minute.
Clark (17 years, 178 days) is the youngest player to score in the MLS Cup Playoffs since Jozy Altidore (16 years, 357 days), also for New York on October 29, 2006 vs D.C.
Clark's 23rd minute goal was the first playoff goal for New York at MAPFRE Stadium, having been held scoreless in the previous two playoff trips.
White scored his first MLS Cup Playoff goal and 16th career goal across all competitions. The Flemington, New Jersey, native tallied goals in three consecutive matches and five of the last six games to end the year.
Stroud and Marc Rzatkowski each recorded an assist on White's goal. Stroud tallied his first MLS Cup Playoffs assist, while Rzatkowski raised his career total to two.
Yonkers native Ryan Meara recorded eight saves on 11 chances in his first MLS Cup Playoffs appearance. Meara was one save shy of tying the franchise record for saves in a playoff match set by Tim Howard on September 23, 2001 at LA Galaxy.
Head Coach Gerhard Struber became the first head coach in MLS history to begin as a manager in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
New York Red Bulls 2, Columbus Crew SC 3
Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One
Saturday, November 21, 2020 - 3 p.m. ET
MAPFRE Stadium | Columbus, Ohio
NY - Caden Clark 1 (unassisted) 23'
CLB - Pedro Santos 1 (PK) 26'
CLB - Darlington Nagbe 1 (unassisted) 46'
CLB - Gyasi Zardes 1 (Etienne) 68'
NY - Brian White 1 (Stroud, Rzatkowski) 90'
NY - Sean Davis (yellow, unsporting behavior) 40'
NY - Kyle Duncan (yellow, unsporting behavior) 81'
NY - Aaron Long (yellow, unsporting behavior) 89'
New York Red Bulls: Ryan Meara; Kyle Duncan, Aaron Long, Tim Parker, Jason Pendant, Sean Davis © (Marc Rzatkowski, 76'), Dru Yearwood (Cristian Casseres, Jr., 52'), Florian Valot (Kaku, 76'), Caden Clark (Jared Stroud, 76'), Daniel Royer (Brian White, 59'), Tom Barlow
Unused Subs: David Jensen, Samuel Tetteh, Mandela Egbo, Amro Tarek,
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 14; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 8
Columbus Crew SC: Eloy Room; Josh Williams, Jonathan Mensah ©, Milton Valenzuela, Harrison Afful, Darlington Nagbe, Pedro Santos, Artur, Lucas Zelarayan, Derrick Etienne Jr. (Luis Diaz, 81'), Gyasi Zardes
Unused Subs: Chris Cadden, Fanendo Adi, Andrew Tarbell, Waylon Francis, Emmanuel Boateng, Aldan Morris, Krisztian Nemeth, Aboubacar Keita
TOTAL SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON GOAL: 11; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 4; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Eric Weisbrod
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
Attendance: Closed-door match
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 21, 2020
- Orlando City SC 1 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC; Orlando City SC Advances 6-5 on Penalties - New York City FC
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls
- Lions Defeat NYCFC in Penalty Shootout, Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- #PORvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC vs. Colorado Rapids Preview - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Alonso and DeLaGarza Thank Fans for Support Throughout Inaugural Season - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Advances to Round 1 of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-0 Victory over Inter Miami CF - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Closes Inaugural Season with Road Playoff Loss - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer