Real Salt Lake to Host Real Cup High School Tournament this Weekend
SANDY, Utah (Tuesday, April 9, 2013) - Real Salt Lake is proud to welcome four UHSAA Boys Soccer Teams to Rio Tinto Stadium this weekend for the second annual Real Cup tournament. The tournament will begin this Friday, April 12, when Sandy's Alta High School will take on Draper's Juan Diego Catholic High School at 3:00 p.m. The Alta-Juan Diego match will be followed by a 6:00 p.m. game between Sandy's Jordan High School and Logan's Sky View High School. The four teams will reconvene at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, April 14, with the losers of Friday's matches facing off in the Consolation game at 1:00 p.m. before the Championship match at 4:00 p.m.
"The Real Cup is a great opportunity for our organization to give young soccer players from across Utah the chance to play on the state's biggest stage, and we're excited to bring it back for its second year," said Real Salt Lake President Bill Manning.
Tickets for each day of the Real Cup will cost $4 for students and senior citizens and $6 for adults. Tickets can be purchased at the Rio Tinto Stadium box office, online at www.RealSaltLake.com/tickets or over the phone at 801-727-2700. Free parking for Real Cup will be available in the Rio Tinto Stadium on-site lots.
Rio Tinto Stadium has hosted dozens of high school soccer games since opening its doors in October of 2008, including the Utah High School Activities Association's State Championships for both girls (fall) and boys (spring) since the 2009-10 school year.
About the Real Cup Participants
Alta High School
Five-time State Champion Alta currently holds a 5-1-0 record (1-1-0 in Region 3) after posting a 2-1 win over Jordan last Tuesday and losing 1-0 to Brighton in a match played at Rio Tinto Stadium last Thursday. The Hawks will host West Jordan on Tuesday before participating in the Real Cup this weekend in Sandy.
Juan Diego Catholic H.S.
Last year's 3A runner-ups, Juan Diego Catholic High School has gotten off to an up-and-down start in 2013, posting a 4-4-1 record (3-2-0 in Region 10) in its first nine matches. The Soaring Eagles will be fresh for the Real Cup, with their last game coming on April 4 against Uintah.
The traditionally-strong Jordan H.S. program is 3-2-0 (1-1-0 in Region 3) so far in 2013. The three-time 5A State Champion Beetdiggers beat Cottonwood 1-0 on Monday and will play at Brighton on Tuesday before beginning Real Cup play this weekend.
Sky View H.S.
Sky View H.S. has gotten the 2013 season off to a strong start, posting a 3-1-1 record (1-0-0 in Region 5) and outscoring its opponents 15-7 in its first five matches. The two-time 4A champions (1994 & 2004) will take on Region rival Box Elder on Tuesday before making the trek south to Rio Tinto Stadium for this weekend's Real Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 9, 2013
- Santos Laguna advances 2-1 on aggregate - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rock on the Range Daily Band Lineup Announced - Columbus Crew SC
- Scouting Report: Montreal Impact - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Defender Austin Berry Chosen as Next Fire Bobblehead - Chicago Fire
- Kevin Alston Placed on Disabled List - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Head to Mexico Hoping to Keep Champions League Hopes Alive - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United's U-23 Team's Tryouts Open for Registration - D.C. United
- Tickets on Sale for April 22 RSL V. Phoenix FC Reserve League Match - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake to Host Real Cup High School Tournament this Weekend - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy & Seattle Sounders FC in Critical CCL Semifinals - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update
- Real Salt Lake Tops New York Red Bulls for Season's First Victory
- Real Salt Lake Honors Chris Wingert for 10 Season with the Club
- Real Salt Lake Academy Standouts Richard Ledezma, Diran Bebekian Called to National Team Camps
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2018 MLS Campaign Saturday Evening v. New York Red Bulls