Real Salt Lake Sends MF Alex Nimo On Season-Long Loan To Portland Timbers
SANDY, Utah (Thursday, March 11, 2010) - Real Salt Lake today announced that the defending MLS Cup champions and the Portland Timbers of the USSF Division 2 Pro League have agreed to a season-long loan deal that will send MF Alex Nimo back to the Pacific Northwest club for its 2010 season. In addition, Real Salt Lake also announced the waiving of third-year forward Tino Nuñez.
This marks the second straight season that Nimo, who turns 20 years of age on Mar. 21, will suit up for his hometown Timbers, the Portland native also having joined the squad via a similar arrangement for the entirety of its 2009 campaign. The budding playmaker made 23 appearances, six in a starting role, for Portland last season during its record-setting USL First Division campaign, notching a goal and an assist in regular season play and adding another goal in the Timbers' USL-1 Semifinal second leg match-up against Vancouver. Nimo has joined the Timbers and could see time for Portland tonight in its exhibition match against Seattle Sounders FC at Qwest Field.
With today's release of Nuñez, Real Salt Lake parts ways with the 2008 second round SuperDraft pick (17th overall) after two seasons with the squad. During RSL's 2009 MLS Cup championship campaign, the 25-year-old forward made three appearances off the bench in MLS play totaling 18 minutes, and also served an extended loan with USL-2's Harrisburg City Islanders, for whom he made six appearances across the latter half of the season. During his rookie year in 2008, the UC Santa Barbara product logged 263 minutes across his nine League appearances (two starts) and added one goal, the match-winner in a 2-1 victory over New England on June 21.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 11, 2010
- Real Salt Lake Sends MF Alex Nimo On Season-Long Loan To Portland Timbers - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Signs Costa Rican Defender Michael Umaña - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes And Comcast SportsNet California To Broadcast Games In High Definition - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo COO Chris Canetti Named Among Sports Business Journal's Forty Under 40 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Toronto FC Picks Up 4th Round Draft Pick From New York - Toronto FC
- D.C. United To Partner With J. League FC Machida Zelvia - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL U-17 Head Coach Andrew May Heads to France to Participate in Elite Formation Coaching License Program
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Diego Luna Named to U.S. U-20 Youth National Team Roster
- Real Salt Lake Partners with Shift4 to Power Payments at All Club Venues
- Real Salt Lake Inks Midfielder Mailel Chang to Contract Extension