Razorsharks Win It Back
Rochester reclaimed the Premier Basketball League championship with an 87-84 victory at Lawton-Fort Sill in the decisive third game of the best-of-three championship series. The RazorSharks dethroned the defending champion Cavalry with a late fourth quarter push by scoring nine of the game's last 13 points.
Keith Friel hit just one shot in nine on the night, but it was a big one. A three pointer to give Rochester an 81-80 lead with 2:40 left. Six free throws down the stretch sealed the victory.
Melvin Council scored a team high 16 points including 14 of 15 from the foul line. Rochester used free throws to their advantage again. The Sharks were 32 of 43. Lawton shot 9 of 14 from the foul line.
The game was close throughout. Rochester owned a six point first quarter lead. The Cavs led by as many as seven in the third. The game was tied 66-66 heading into the final quarter. Lawton's Shawn Daniels scored 10 of his game high 20 points in the final quarter to keep the Cavs in it.
Rochester won the 2008 and 2009 PBL titles. Lawton won it last year. The RazorSharks win it back in 2011. In their six professional seasons of basketball, the Sharks have won four championships.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from April 18, 2011
- Razorsharks Return Home Champions - Rochester RazorSharks
- Halifax Rainmen Exit Premier Basketball League - Halifax Rainmen
- Razorsharks Win It Back - Rochester RazorSharks
- Saint John Mill Rats Disassociate from PBL - Saint John Riptide
- The Final Showdown - Rochester RazorSharks