Rattlers Acquire NFL Veteran Dwaine Carpenter
PHOENIX - Dwaine Carpenter, a three-year veteran in the National Football League, has been acquired by the Arizona Rattlers in a trade with the Columbus Destroyers for offensive/defensive linemen Norman Heuer and Shane Jones, general manager/head coach Gene Nudo announced today.
Carpenter (6-foot-2, 215 pounds), who will be a defensive specialist with the Rattlers, enters his third season in the AFL after spending two years with the Buffalo Destroyers before being picked up by the San Francisco 49ers in 2003. Prior to joining the Destroyers, Carpenter spent a season with the Rochester Brigade of the arenafootball2 league.
"We had been looking for a defensive back with AFL experience to add to our backfield," said head coach Gene Nudo. "Dwaine is a guy that gives us just that. I am excited to land a player with his credentials. We'll see what the NFL has in store for him, if not we've acquired a real good player."
In his two seasons in the AFL, Carpenter amassed 147 and a half tackles 30 pass breakups and ten interceptions, in addition to 10 kickoff returns for 109 yards. In 2003, the defensive specialist finished third in the league with 26 passes defended, fifth with eight interceptions and sixth with 84 tackles, while earning all-Arena League honors.
That stellar season helped him earn a roster spot in the NFL. While with San Francisco, Carpenter played in 32 games, tallying 82 tackles, seven pass deflections, four forced fumbles, two sacks and an interception. In 2004, he returned a fumble for an 80-yard score against the Chicago Bears and broke Tom Brady's streak of 62 passes without an interception at home by picking one off a against the Patriots in the regular season finale. The defensive back was released on Sept 19, 2005 after playing two games with the 49ers this season.
A four-year letterman at North Carolina A&T, Carpenter helped the Aggies win the Black College Championship in 1999. He was named the team's defensive back of the year as a senior.
The Rattlers will kick off their 15th season in the 20-year-old Arena Football League on Sunday, January 29 at 2 p.m. on the road against the Los Angeles Avengers at STAPLES Center. The Rattler home opener will be on Friday, February 3 at 7 p.m. versus the Austin Wranglers. Nine-game season ticket packages can be purchased by calling 602-514-8300.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from November 30, 2005
- SaberCats ink Terrance Metcalf to two-year deal - San Jose SaberCats
- Destroyers land former Westerville North/Bowling Green QB Josh Harris - Columbus Destroyers
- Blaze, Simmons Media Group announce partnership - Utah Blaze
- Rattlers Acquire NFL Veteran Dwaine Carpenter - Arizona Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Rattlers Stories
- Rattlers Complete Undefeated Regular Season with Win over Strike Force, 57-16
- 2019 Week 17 Arizona Rattlers Game Preview vs San Diego Strike Force
- Rattlers Rally Past Sugar Skulls in Overtime; 50-49
- Conference Championship Tickets to Go on Sale this Friday at 10 a.m.
- 2019 Week 16 Arizona Rattlers Game Notes vs Tucson Sugar Skulls