Price announced as Game One Starter
Durham, NC - As the Bulls finish out the regular season today with a matinee against Charlotte, the team today announced LHP David Price will take the mound for the Bulls in Game One of the Governors' Cup Playoffs against the Louisville Bats on Wednesday, September 3rd at Louisville Slugger Field in Kentucky. Price, the top prospect in minor league baseball according to Baseball America, will face LHP Matt Maloney in the opener.
Price, who came to Durham on August 11th with an 11-0 record between Vero Beach and Montgomery, has struggled a bit in Triple-A going 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in four starts though he has struck out 17 batters in 18 innings of work. In his last start on August 28th against Norfolk he pitched five innings allowing two runs on four hits while striking out five. Maloney posted an 11-5 record in the regular season but has struggled a bit in his last three starts, allowing 27 runs on 56 hits in 56.1 innings of work. He started against Durham on August 19th allowing seven runs on 10 hits in 6.2 innings of work.
Game Two will feature RHP Mitch Talbot (13-9, 3.86) for the Bulls against former Cincinnati Reds Top Prospect Homer Bailey (4-7. 4.77). 2004 1st Round Draft Pick Jeff Niemann (9-5, 3.59) takes the hill for the Bulls when the series returns to Durham for Game Three. He'll face Louisville's ace Adam Pettyjohn (15-6, 4.59) that Friday night. RHP Wade Davis (4-2 2.72) is scheduled to start for Durham on Saturday in Game Four against Bats LHP Bobby Livingston (4-3, 5.22) if necessary. Neither team has announced a starter for Game Five.
Tickets for the final three games of the series at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park on September 5-7 are available by phone at (919) 956-BULL or online at www.durhambulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2008
- Red Wings Fly High in Final Game - Rochester Red Wings
- Braves Win Final Game - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tribe Wraps Up Season with 5-2 Win Over Bats - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Drop Season Finale 5-2 to Indians, Quest For Cup Begins - Louisville Bats
- What a Way to End the Season - Charlotte Knights
- Price announced as Game One Starter - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo Bisons
- There is Only One September - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Win in 10 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.