Philadelphia Wings Sign 13 to Contracts for 2013
The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League (NLL) have signed 13 players: draft pick CJ Costabile, off-season trade acquisition Kevin Buchanan, defenders Paul Dawson, Steve Holmes, Jim Forsythe and Tom Guadagnolo, forward Joe Vitale, goalies Brett Perras, Alex Fortier and Chris Collins, transitional player Ethan Farrell and local products Kevin Kaminski and Brian Teuber to one-year contracts for the 2013 season.
Costabile, the Wings' fifth round draft pick helped guide the Duke Blue Devils to a 15-5 record as a senior last season. The 2012 ACC Co-Defensive Player of the Year led the team with 144 loose balls and figures to strengthen the Wings defense this season.
Buchannan will face off against his former team, the Buffalo Bandits in the Wings' 2013 Home Opener on January 11. The forward was acquired from the Buffalo Bandits in a trade that sent Mike Hominuck and David Brock to Buffalo. Last season in Buffalo, Buchannan scored 10 goals and tallied 19 assists, appearing in 15 games.
Dawson, enters his third season with the Wings after playing alongside his brother, Dan in 2012. The 6'5" Canadian defender played in 16 games last season and finished with 6 assists and 53 loose balls recovered.
A five-year NLL veteran, Holmes saw time in 15 games last season, tallying three assists. Holmes scooped 41 loose balls, including four in the Wings first round playoff game.
Collins, a goaltender and former All-American at the University of Delaware, was part of the Wings practice squad in 2009 and a member of the NLL's New York Titans squad in 2007 and 2008.
Guadagnolo, who captained the Syracuse Orangemen to a National Championship in 2008 and 2009 and Forsythe, a three-year starter at Widener University and Wings practice player, will look to provide the Wings depth on defense.
Farrell, a Nantucket, MA native and NCAA Division III All-American at Lynchburg University and local players Kevin Kaminski, a forward from the University of Delaware and Teuber, a Drexel alumnus round out the Wings latest signings.
The Philadelphia Wings will open the 2013 season at home against the Buffalo Bandits at Wells Fargo Center on Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7 p.m.
Call 215-389-WING (9464) or visit WingsLAX.com to order Season Tickets for the upcoming 2013 Philadelphia Wings Season.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from November 28, 2012
- Stealth Sign Veterans Sorensen, Duch - Washington Stealth
- Minnesota Swarm Sign Top Draft Pick Brock Sorensen - Minnesota Swarm
- Hargreaves Has 'Invincible' Moment - Rochester Knighthawks
- Philadelphia Wings Sign 13 to Contracts for 2013 - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team