Philadelphia Wings Mount Fourth Quarter Comeback
The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League (NLL) defeated the Toronto Rock, 8-7 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto in their first road game of the season.
After trailing the entire game, the Wings took the lead with ten seconds to go on a Drew Westervelt game winning goal. Westervelt's second goal of the night was part of a five goal fourth quarter for the Wings, that saw two goals from Kevin Crowley and one each from Joel White and Kevin Ross.
Crowley ended the night with three goals and two assists, for five points while Wings Captain Brodie Merrill, who was named NLL Transition Player of the Week, chipped in with a goal and ten loose balls.
Netminder Brandon Miller's solid play in goal kept the Wings within striking distance throughout the game. Miller ended the game with 53 saves on 60 shots, for a 88% save rate.
Going into the game, Toronto was 2-0, having won twice on the road to start the season. The Rock were led by Colin Doyle and Garret Billings, who each had four points. The Wings begin the season 2-0 for the first time since the 2008 season.
The Wings will travel to Buffalo next weekend for a re-match against the Bandits, who the Wings beat 13-8 in Philadelphia's home opener last weekend, before returning to Wells Fargo Center on a quick turnaround to play the Calgary Roughnecks the next day on Sunday, January 27. The game will feature a salute to American Heroes and a jersey auction to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project.
Tickets for all Philadelphia Wings home games are available online at WingsLAX.com by phone at 215-389-WING or in person at Wells Fargo Center box office.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 19, 2013
- Knighthawks Lose in Closing Seconds - Rochester Knighthawks
- Philadelphia Wings Mount Fourth Quarter Comeback - Philadelphia Wings
- Rock Drop Home Opener in Heartbreaking Fashion - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team