Paige Monaghan Voted NWSL Player of the Week
August 20, 2019 - National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) News Release
CHICAGO - Paige Monaghan of Sky Blue FC has been voted NWSL Player of the Week for Week 18 of the 2019 season by the NWSL Media Association. Earning her first Player of the Week nod, the rookie attacker scored the first two goals of her NWSL career in the victory over Chicago Red Stars.
In the 71st minute, Monaghan received a pass from Carli Lloyd before cutting the ball to her right foot and firing the ball past Chicago goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher. After Chicago equalized in stoppage time through Sam Kerr, Monaghan once again came up big in a crucial spot. She ran onto a through ball from Julie James and then lifted a shot over Naeher, who had come off her line, for the game-winning goal.
Sky Blue FC finished the contest with a 2-1 win and snapped the Red Stars' five-game winning streak in the process. Monaghan also started in Sky Blue FC's 1-1 draw with Reign FC in front of the team's record attendance of 9,415.
The NWSL Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by the NWSL Media Association, a collection of writers that cover the league on a consistent basis. For more information on the NWSL Media Association, follow them on Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Utah Royals FC Concludes Three-Game Road Stretch at Washington Spirit - Utah Royals FC
- Paige Monaghan Named NWSL Player of the Week - Sky Blue FC
- Paige Monaghan Voted NWSL Player of the Week - NWSL
- Orlando Pride Begin Two-Game Road Trip at Chicago on Wednesday - Orlando Pride
- North Carolina Courage-Reign FC Match on Saturday, August 24 to Air Locally on FOX50 - North Carolina Courage
- Know Your Opponent | Chicago Red Stars - Orlando Pride
- Sky Blue FC Sign Goalkeeper Megan Hinz as Supplemental Player - Sky Blue FC
- Rachel Daly Named to the England Women's National Team for International Friendlies - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.