Orlando City Meets with Major League Soccer to Discuss Expansion Plans
ORLANDO - Orlando City Soccer Club is proud to announce the club has taken the first step in becoming a Major League Soccer expansion franchise by meeting with MLS Commissioner Don Garber and MLS President Mark Abbott last month following the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. The meeting was designed to explore the opportunity for MLS expansion in Orlando, Florida.
Topics covered in the meeting included a review of the demographics of the Orlando marketplace, the level of potential corporate and fan support for soccer in Central Florida and a detailed discussion on developing a roadmap for a successful future MLS franchise in Orlando.
"As a first meeting I don't believe it could have gone much better," said Phil Rawlins, Owner and President of Orlando City. "MLS wants a successful future franchise in Florida and our owners believe Orlando has all the ingredients MLS is looking for in a potential franchise."
Orlando City has already started the road to MLS with a successful opening match on February 19th , 2011. The 1-0 victory over last year's expansion side Philadelphia Union got the squad's inaugural season off to a fantastic start. City has already seen an increase in season ticket sales and fan interest via Facebook and Twitter as a result of the team's historic win.
"It up to us and the people of Central Florida to prove that Major League Soccer has a future here in Orlando," said Rawlins. "Commissioner Garber and Mark Abbott clearly spelt out what we need to do to be successful in our MLS application, and based on that we are be building a roadmap for MLS status. I anticipate last month's meeting will be the first of several. We were very encouraged by what we heard."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 28, 2011
- Hammerheads Add Two UNCW Seahawks to Roster - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Orlando City Meets with Major League Soccer to Discuss Expansion Plans - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City and adidas Announce Plans for New Stadium Store
- Wecando Print Joins Orlando City Family of Partners
- Orlando City Youth Soccer Donates $3,000 to Women Playing for T.I.M.E.
- Canadian Men's National Team to Train at Orlando City Facilities
- Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando Partners with Orlando City