OHL Mourns the Loss of Sam Sisco
March 26, 2020 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
The Ontario Hockey League family is mourning the loss of former long-time referee, OHL Officiating Manager and 2009 Bill Long Award recipient Sam Sisco who has passed away at the age of 85.
A native of Windsor, Ont. who taught at Herman Secondary School until 1989, Sisco served asÂ an OHL officiating supervisor from 1987Â until his retirement in 2008 before being honoured with the Bill Long Award for his outstanding contributions to the League.
"Sam was a the consummate professional on and off the ice," said OHL Commissioner David Branch. "He treated everyone with respect and was highly regarded by all of the coaches, managers and owners in the Ontario Hockey League. He was a true gentleman who set a high standard for everyone to follow and he'll be greatly missed."
Sisco had an on-ice career as a referee from 1957-1990, spending 17 years in the IHL (1965-82) that included working 10 Turner Cup Finals. He also officiated in the OHL ranks and worked at the collegiate level as well as onÂ the international stage. Upon retirement, Sisco stepped into full-time supervisory work with stints in several leagues including the NHL, AHL, IHL and the OHL.
Sisco was inducted into the Windsor/Essex County Sorts Hall of Fame in 2009.
For more on the life and career of Sam Sisco, visit the Windsor/Essex County Sports Hall of Fame website.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2020
- OHL Mourns the Loss of Sam Sisco - OHL
- Moncada Underrated No More - North Bay Battalion
- Seven Petes Recognized in Annual OHL Coaches Poll - Peterborough Petes
- Rangers Sign GM Mike McKenzie to Contract Extension - Kitchener Rangers
- Perfetti, Giroux, Wilde, Busdeker, Lennox Featured in OHL Coaches Poll - Saginaw Spirit
- OHL Announces 2019-20 Coaches Poll Winners - OHL
- Hunter Jones Signs Entry-Level Contract with Minnesota Wild - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.