Ohio Machine Defeated by Boston Cannons 23-14
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - In their only meeting of the season, the Ohio Machine fell to the Boston Cannons, 23-14, in their final game of 2018 on Saturday at Harvard University In Cambridge, MA. With the loss, the Machine will receive the first overall pick in the 2019 MLL Draft next spring.
Boston's effort marked the most goals that Machine have ever allowed in a single game, tying the Chesapeake Bayhawks' 23 goal effort in the Machine's first-ever game on May 5, 2012. It marked just the fourth time in franchise history that the Machine have allowed 20+ goals in a single game.
After the Cannons got on the board first, Machine midfielder Bryce Wasserman scored on the wraparound to tie the game up at 1-1. However, the Cannons rattled off five straight goals to go up 6-1. Wasserman scored his second of the game to end the first quarter, and attackman Justin Guterding scored shortly into the second quarter, but Boston would score seven straight to take a 14-3 lead into the half.
Machine midfielder Sean Lawton scored his first goal as a member of the Sheens to open up the second half.
In the fourth quarter, the Machine scored six straight goals, including a two-pointer by Machine attackman Marcus Holman, to cut the lead to 22-14. The Machine outscored the Cannons 7-5 in the fourth quarter. Wasserman finished the game with a career-high four goals. Guterding also had four goals to tie his career-high. Cannons attackman Mark Cockerton scored eight goals in the contest, the most allowed to an opposing player this season.
The Machine now look ahead to the 2019 season, and will wrap up the 2018 season at the 2018 MLL Honors on August 17 in Charleston, SC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from August 4, 2018
- Atlanta Blaze Fall to Denver Outlaws in Season Finale - Atlanta Blaze
- Rattlers Win, Will Play New York in Playoffs - Dallas Rattlers
- Launch Downed by Dallas in Season Finale - Florida Launch
- Ohio Machine Defeated by Boston Cannons 23-14 - Ohio Machine
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ohio Machine Stories
- Ohio Machine Lacrosse Strengthens Commitment Supporting Ohio High School Lacrosse
- Ohio Machine Announce 2019 Single Game Ticket on Sale Date
- Ohio Machine Lacrosse Foundation Announces Advisory Board
- Ohio Machine Launch New Fan Apparel Line to Spur Growth of the Game
- Machine Sign SSDM Carlson Milikin