Norwich C Sarah Schwenzfeier Signs with Whale
The Connecticut Whale have signed outstanding all-zone center Sarah Schwenzfeier, who averaged a point per game over her four-year career at Norwich University.
In an article from last season in the Boston Globe, Norwich coach Mark Bolding called Schwenzfeier "one of the best two-way, consistent players in the nation." Comparing the Massachusetts native to a local player, Bolding said, "She is like Patrice Bergeron in the middle with all the tools - with and without the puck."
Schwenzfeier scored 34 goals over her last two seasons and was 54-67-121 in 119 games at Norwich between 2014-2018. She will undoubtedly play an important role in Whale head coach Ryan Equale's system in her rookie season.
"I wanted to join the NWHL to continue to play the sport that has allowed me so many opportunities in life, and to hopefully inspire young girls to follow their dreams," said Schwenzfeier.
Prior to Norwich, Schwenzfeier played three years at Hingham High - including a state title in her sophomore year - and at Tabor Academy.
Asked to describe her style of play and for her hopes for the upcoming season, Schwenzfeier said, "I would describe my style of play as a two-way forward. Over the years at Norwich, my strong skating foundation has allowed me to be an effective center in all areas of the ice. My goal for the season is to continue to improve every day to help the Whale succeed."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from August 16, 2018
- Kiira Dosdall, Original Riveter, Signs up for Fourth Season with Defending Isobel Cup Champions - Metropolitan Riveters
- Norwich C Sarah Schwenzfeier Signs with Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Beauts Sign Olympic Gold Medalist Pfalzer - Buffalo Beauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Connecticut Whale Stories
- Olympians Hensley and Raisanen Battle as Beauts Defeat Whale, 4-0
- Finnish Olympic Team Goaltender Meeri Raisanen Signs with the Whale
- Connecticut Whale Tickets on Sale Now
- Russian National Team Goaltender Maria Sorokina Signed by Connecticut
- Whale Star Emily Fluke Finds Inspiration in Memorable WNBA Event