Nighthawks Propose To Pacers For Artest
Rockville, MD-The Maryland Nighthawks of the American Basketball Association (ABA) announced today that they are proposing a trade to the NBA's Indiana Pacers for small forward Ron Artest. The situation is perfect, as Artest has asked for a trade out of Indiana, and the Nighthawks are looking for a defensive upgrade.
The Nighthawks would send two of their star players, Randy "White Chocolate" Gill and Lawrence Moten, to the Pacers in exchange for Ron Artest. Gill's star was launched when he won a nationally televised "Streetball" competition. Moten previously played in the NBA for the Grizzlies and Wizards.
Explaining his rationale for supporting the proposed deal, Nighthawks team owner Tom Doyle said, "Ron Artest would be a great addition to an already great team -- and this would give Randy Gill and Lawrence Moten the opportunity to showcase their talent to the league."
The Nighthawks are currently 9-3 and looking to take control of the ABA's Connie Hawkins Division. Gill leads the Nighthawks averaging 28 points per game. Moten, a player/coach on the team, played his college career at Syracuse, and he is still the Big East's all-time leading scorer.
Nighthawks Assistant GM David Lasday, who put together the offer, said, "Despite Artest's off-court trouble I think he could be a valuable asset to the Maryland Nighthawks and our hopes for an ABA Championship."
For more information on the Maryland Nighthawks, visit www.marylandnighthawks.com.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from January 13, 2006
- It's An Event, Not Just A Game - Strong Island Sound
- Nighthawks Continue to Develop Outstanding Talent - Maryland NightHawks
- Maryland Nighthawks Sign Former Georgetown Hoya Standout - Maryland NightHawks
- Nighthawks Propose To Pacers For Artest - Maryland NightHawks
- Big game Saturday, Maryland vs. Florida - Maryland NightHawks
- Nighthawks Cap Exciting Weekend With Big Win - Maryland NightHawks
- Buzz Win Thriller in Tijuana - Maywood Buzz
- Slam Win Fifth Straight Game - Bellingham Slam
- Orange County Travels Across Pacific - Maywood Buzz
- Slam Continues Win Streak - Bellingham Slam
- Williams, Gayle and Company Buzz By Dragons - Maywood Buzz
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland NightHawks Stories
- Maryland Nighthawks Select Trikz and Pat da Roc in 2008 PBL Draft
- Maryland Nighthawks Announce 2008-2009 Tryout Camp
- Nighthawks Begin "Believe In Your Dreams" Tour
- Nighthawks Upset Wilmington 125-112 in First Round of Playoffs, Advance
- NightHawks Fall To Dallas In Regular Season Finale 129-108