Nigerian International Striker Bright Dike Acquired by San Antonio
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Monday, April 27, 2015) - The San Antonio Scorpions and Major League Soccer's Toronto FC have agreed to terms on a loan that will send striker Bright Dike to San Antonio, team President/GM Howard Cornfield and Head Coach Alen Marcina announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
"Bright is a powerful, talented forward with size, pace and an acute sense for scoring goals," said Marcina. "He brings another element to our offense and provides attacking depth as someone we believe can potentially be a dominant force in the NASL. We are grateful to Toronto for this loan."
The 6'1", 213lb Dike was selected in the first round (12th overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by the Columbus Crew. The native of Edmond, Oklahoma, made his MLS debut a year later with the then expansion Portland Timbers and scored six goals in 23 appearances with the club. Dike, 28, was traded to Toronto FC in September of 2013 and has appeared in 11 matches for the Reds, registering one goal and one assist in MLS play.
"We want to thank Toronto FC for the opportunity to bring Bright to San Antonio," said Cornfield. "He's a strong, imposing player that gives our coaching staff an array of options at the forward position."
Dike has twice been called up to play for Nigeria - his parents are natives of Nigeria - and he scored his first international goal against Italy in 2013. Prior to turning professional, Dike played collegiately at the University of Notre Dame where he was named Big East Offensive Player of the year in 2009, led the Fighting Irish in scoring his junior and senior years, earned first team All-Big East honors twice, and finished his college career with 27 goals and 12 assists. Dike's professional career includes time with: Indiana Invaders (USL PDL), Portland Timbers (USL PRO), Portland Timbers (MLS), and Toronto FC (MLS).
With the move, the Scorpions now have twenty-three players on the roster for 2015:
GK - Sattler, Kempin, Cardone
D - DeRoux, James, Zea, Attakora, Abdul-Salaam
M - Menjivar, Castillo, Forbes, Soto, Garcia, Cruz, Chavez, Tsiskaridze, Gibson, Nane
F - Elizondo, Hassli, Palomeque, Cummings, Dike
The 2015 San Antonio Scorpions season is presented by deeproot Funds. The Scorpions play their next home match on May 9 at Toyota Field against the Carolina RailHawks. For information on Scorpions season tickets, call 210-495-8686 or visit SAScorpions.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from April 27, 2015
- Goalkeeper Kristian Nicht Transferred to Montreal Impact of Major League Soccer - Indy Eleven
- Silverbacks Keep Pace with 5-Game Unbeaten Run - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Forward Maicon Santos Named NASL Player of the Week - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nigerian International Striker Bright Dike Acquired by San Antonio - San Antonio Scorpions
- Rowdies Forward Maicon Santos Named NASL Player of the Week - NASL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Scorpions Stories
- Scorpions Soccer Club Thanks Fans for Supporting Soccer for a Cause
- San Antonio Scorpions Owner Gordon Hartman Issues Statement
- Gordon Hartman Issues Statement
- Billy Forbes Returns to Lead the San Antonio Attack in 2016
- Scorpions Part Ways with Head Coach Alen Marcina