New York Riptide's Jeff Teat Named National Lacrosse League Rookie of the Year
Uniondale, NY - The National Lacrosse League announced today that the New York Riptide's Jeff Teat has been named the League's Rookie of the Year. In addition, Teat was named to the All-League Second Team and All-Rookie Team.
This season, the 5-foot-10 inch forward finished the season with 108 points on 37 goals and 71 assists in 16 games after being selected first overall in the 2020 NLL Entry Draft. Teat finished fourth overall in the NLL in points, and third overall in assists, while leading all rookies in goals, assists, points, and powerplay assists, despite only playing in 16 games. The rookie also broke single-season NLL rookie records in points and assists and became the first rookie in League history to score 100 points in a season. This marks the second time that a Riptide player was awarded Rookie of the Year, after Tyson Gibson won the award in the 2019-20 season.
"Jeff had a rookie season for the ages no doubt, but what is most impressive is his effortless ability to make difficult lacrosse plays look easy," Riptide general manager Jim Veltman said. "The subtle things he does to set up his teammates or stymie his opponents is remarkable. To top it off he is a great teammate and character guy both on and off the floor."
The League also announced that Riptide goaltender Steven Orleman was named to the NLL All-Rookie Team. Orleman broke the NLL rookie record for minutes and finished fifth overall with just under 987 minutes played and sixth overall in saves (656). Orleman signed as a free agent with the Riptide in August 2020 after he was selected in the second round (19th overall) by the Georgia Swarm in the 2018 NLL Entry Draft.
The Riptide will return to Nassau Coliseum in December for the 2022-23 season. Season Ticket Memberships are on sale now and are the best way to enjoy the Riptide at an unbeatable price. Benefits include an exclusive post game meet and greet with team, player clinics on the Nassau Coliseum turf, an exclusive season ticket member gift, a season ticket member merchandise sale, a flexible ticket exchange program so no tickets go unused and can be added to another game, and much more. Fans can head to NewYorkRiptide.com for all of the details.
Images from this story
New York Riptide forward Jeff Teat (left)
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from June 30, 2022
- Four Rock Players Recognized for Standout Seasons with All-League Team Selections - Toronto Rock
- Smith Wins 2nd NLL MVP Award - Buffalo Bandits
- Smith, Priolo, Vinc, Nanticoke Earn All-League Honors - Buffalo Bandits
- Lee Named to NLL All-League Second Team - Colorado Mammoth
- Patrick Dodds Named to NLL All-Rookie Team - Panther City Lacrosse Club
- Knighthawks' Smith Named to NLL All-Rookie Team - Rochester Knighthawks
- All-League and Rookie Teams Announced - NLL
- New York Riptide's Jeff Teat Named National Lacrosse League Rookie of the Year - New York Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Riptide Stories
- New York Riptide Announce Inaugural Big Wave Beer Festival Presented by Westhampton Beach Brewing Company
- New York Riptide Place Franchise Tag on Four-Time NLL All-Pro Callum Crawford
- New York Riptide's Jeff Teat Named National Lacrosse League Rookie of the Year
- New York Riptide Announce Protected List for 2022 NLL Expansion Draft
- New York Riptide's Rich Lisk Named National Lacrosse League Executive of the Year Finalist