New York Lizards Announce Delay of 2020 Season Due to Coronavirus
New Hyde Park, NY - The New York Lizards, New York's only Major League Lacrosse Team, today announced its regular season games have been delayed, in accordance with a decision by Major League Lacrosse, and as a response to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak. The season was scheduled to begin with a home game on Saturday, May 30 at home against the Boston Cannons.
"We are working closely with the community health leaders, as the league office has been in touch with the CDC, to follow and develop protocol for the 2020 season in accordance with their direction," said Jeffrey Rudnick, President of the New York Lizards. "We have been proud to serve the Tri-state region for 19 years, and we have been eagerly awaiting the start of our 20th anniversary season. Our players have worked hard in the offseason, preparing to bring the Steinfeld Trophy back to New York. Our staff is working hard from their respective homes, and we are currently making every effort to welcome the Lizards' community back into the stands, when it is safe to return. The safety of our players, fans and the larger Lizards community is of the utmost importance to us."
The New York Lizards season was to be comprised of five home and five away games, with four home games to be played at Hofstra University's Shuart Stadium and one at Farmingdale State College. Players including Dylan Molloy (A-Setauket, NY), Nick Galasso (M-West Islip, NY) and Justin Reh (A-Rocky Point, NY) are set to lead the team in its pursuit of the Steinfield Trophy when the season resumes.
"To all of the dedicated healthcare workers, first-responders and all of those working diligently to keep our community safe and healthy, thank you," Rudnick continued. "To our fans, stay home, stay safe, stay healthy, and we look forward to cheering on the Lizards with you soon!"
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from April 3, 2020
- New York Lizards Announce Delay of 2020 Season Due to Coronavirus - New York Lizards
- Boston Cannons 2020 Season Update - Boston Cannons
- MLL Suspends Start of 2020 Season - MLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Lizards Stories
- New York Lizards and Major League Lacrosse Announce Plans for 2020 Play
- New York Lizards Choose Key Players in 2020 Major League Lacrosse Draft Class
- New York Lizards Announce Delay of 2020 Season Due to Coronavirus
- NY Lizards Lacrosse Announces 2020 Game Schedule for MLL 20th Anniversary Season
- MLL Spotlight: Dylan Molloy