MU Reciever Tommy Saunders Joins the Command
Tommy Saunders is well known in the Kansas City area. A standout star in high school football from Kearney, MO, he set state records for interceptions (23) and interceptions returned for a touchdown (5), and led his team to 14-0 and a state championship.
At MU, Saunders was team captain in his senior year, and ranked in the top ten all-time receivers for the school for his season-leading numbers of receptions and receiving yards. Saunders has been described as "one of the greatest receivers in Missouri football history". And as of this week, he is now playing for the Kansas City COMMAND.
Head Coach Danton Barto said about the acquisition, "We're happy to have Tommy aboard and excited to see what he can bring to the team. It's always nice for the fans to see a guy they may have played with, or even against, in high school, take the field to play professionally for his home town's team."
Saunders suited up for practice this week at Sprint Center, joining a talented squad of receivers that includes rookie standout Bret Smith, 6'6" playmaker Aaron Hosack, the lightning quick receiver and kick returner Christian Wise, and Week 5 Ironman award recipient, receiver/linebacker Bradly Chavez.
As of this release, it hasn't been determined if Saunders will play this weekend for the team's second home game against the undefeated Arizona Rattlers. But in practice this week, Saunders has been busy building up his on-field rapport with quarterback JJ Raterink; an essential component to seeing Saunders achieve the same spectacular numbers he did while wearing the Mizzou black and gold. So if Kearney High School, and Mizzou fans don't see him make an appearance against Arizona, they'll be able to tune in to NiftyTV and see him when the COMMAND travels to Chicago to face the Rush (currently 3-1) in Week 7.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from April 14, 2011
- Vigilantes Corral The Mustangs - Dallas Vigilantes
- MU Reciever Tommy Saunders Joins the Command - Kansas City Command
- VooDoo Home Game Date Changed - New Orleans VooDoo
- Soul Gear up to Weather the Storm in Home Opener - Philadelphia Soul
- Kansas City Commands All of Arizona's Attention - Arizona Rattlers
- Both Undefeated AFL Teams Include Two NFL Players - AFL
- Blaze Stat Guy Goes Inside 300 Yard Passing Games - Utah Blaze
- Third NFL Player Jumps to AFL After Lockout - AFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.