Morales, Ianni named to USL-1 Team of Week
Two California Victory players were named to this week's USL First Division Team of the Week: Defender Patrick Ianni and forward Yuri Morales.
The Victory picked up former-UCLA Bruin Ianni on loan from Major-leaguers Houston Dynamo last week, and his presence has had an immediate stabilizing effect on the back four.
Ianni, 22, was the 8th overall pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft, having played at UCLA and with the Southern California Seahorses. He appeared on a number of United States national youth teams and played in two games for the MLS champions last year.
Morales has been working hard all season. His headed goal last Wednesday in the 1-1 tie with Charleston helped the Victory to its first home point.
Morales holds the University of Massachusetts record for Most Career Assists (28. He went on to play for Viborg FF and -lstykke FC of Denmark before stints at Portland Timbers and Puerto Rico Islanders FC.
The last Victory player honored was midfielder Mike Muñoz, following his goal in the 2-2 tie with Vancouver back in April.
Rochester Raging Rhinos goalkeeper Chase Harrison was named USL First Division Player of the Week.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from June 6, 2007
- Timbers Travel East To Face Montreal, Rochester In Back-to-back Matches - Portland Timbers
- Carolina RailHawks Aim to Maintain Home Undefeated Streak - North Carolina FC
- Battery plays Sounders Thursday night at Blackbaud - Charleston Battery
- Sounders at Starfire Tuesday night - Seattle Sounders
- Morales, Ianni named to USL-1 Team of Week - California Victory
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent California Victory Stories
- Van Straatum: "We battle until the end"
- Late PK puts Seattle on top; Sounders beat Vics 1-0 in San Francisco
- Victory out of playoff contention following loss to Montreal
- Victory beats Minnesota with Morales brace
- Victory face Thunder, Islanders in hunt for playoffs