MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Orlando City SC 2
TACOMA, Wash. - Dom Dwyer scored twice as Seattle Sounders FC fell to Orlando City SC of the USL-PRO, 2-0, in an MLS Reserve League match on Sunday afternoon at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, Wash.
It marked the fourth reserve match for Sounders FC (1-2-1, 4 points) and first against a USL side. The match was also the first time Sounders FC played a competitive game at Cheney Stadium.
Dwyer, the scoring leader in USL-PRO, netted both goals for Orlando City. He struck early in the 4th minute when defender Luke Boden sent a cross into the box that Dwyer volleyed past Seattle keeper Marcus Hahnemann for his first goal.
Dwyer scored his second of the match in the 53rd minute when Dennis Chin beat his defender to the end line and found Dwyer in the box. Dwyer settled the ball and blasted a 10-yard shot to the top of the net to double Orlando City's lead.
Facing seven total shots in the opening 45 minutes, Hahnemann made a trio of saves before halftime. In the 7th minute, he dived to stop Chin's shot and he also saved Dwyer's 25-yard free kick attempt at the half-hour mark. Minutes later, he sprung to catch Dwyer's side-winding shot from 8-yards out.
Sounders FC took 11 total shots with just three on goal. The team's best chance came in the first half when Alex Caskey beat his defender on the right flank in the 16th minute and found David Estrada at the back post but Estrada's volley attempt rolled wide of the post.
The Tacoma Rainiers will also host a "Sounders Night" at Cheney Stadium on July 25 when they take on the Tucson Padres. Prior to the match, a Sounders FC player will throw out the first pitch. Tacoma will also wear a Rave Green Rainiers jersey which will be raffled off to support the five Sounders FC charity partners (Boys & Girls Clubs of King County and Bellevue, Special Olympics Washington, America Scores Seattle, Washington Global Health Alliance and Washington Youth Soccer).
The next Sounders FC reserve league match is at Chivas USA on June 2. Seattle reserves will visit Orlando City on August 11 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 12, 2013
- Timbers Beat Chivas USA 3-0, Extend Unbeaten Run to Nine Matches - Portland Timbers
- Gyasi Zardes Hopes First Goal Is the Start of Big Things for LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Orlando City SC 2 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA Fall 3-0 at Portland - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Alexander Soto, 14, of Elizabeth, NJ wins Sueño MLS 2013 - MLS
- Revs play to a draw - New England Revolution
- Revolution undone by "momentary loss of concentration" in draw with Red Bulls - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.