MLS Celebrates Earth Day with Third Annual Greener Goals Week of Service
April 10, 2018 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
New York - MLS WORKS, Major League Soccer's community outreach initiative is gearing up to host the Third Annual Greener Goals Week of Service, April 16-20 leading up to Earth Day weekend. League-wide efforts will be conducted on and off the field to highlight Major League Soccer's commitment to environmental sustainability. MLS club and League office staff, as well as members of the National Sales Center, will volunteer their time and give back in partnership with local charitable organizations. Week of Service efforts and other green initiatives conducted by MLS clubs will be promoted throughout the week across MLS social and digital channels.
In conjunction with Greener Goals Week of Service, Major League Soccer has collaborated with adidas to support Parley for the Oceans. MLS players will wear special adidas kits during Week 8 matches (April 20-22), built of technical yarns made using Parley Ocean Plasticâ¢. This collaboration was first introduced in 2017 when four MLS clubs - New York City FC, Orlando City SC, LA Galaxy and Seattle Sounders FC - donned the MLS x Parley kits on Earth Day. The 2018 edition of the jerseys will be supported by all 23 clubs and comes in two colorways, non-dye and carbon, differentiating the two teams in each game. Also new this year, the exclusive adidas 2018 MLS Parley jerseys will be available for purchase at MLSStore.com and adidas.com and in select in-stadium retailers beginning April 10.
Each product is crafted using Parley Ocean Plastic upcycled from plastic waste intercepted on beaches and in coastal communities. Once collected, the original plastic source is reworked into technical fibers that can then be repurposed for use in either apparel or footwear. To commemorate this unique process of repurposing plastic debris, the message "For the Oceans" is featured in the inside of the neck tape detailing, and each club's name is featured on the back-neck. The jerseys are then shipped in recyclable envelopes.
In addition, MLS WORKS will share #GreenerGoals tips to educate the soccer community on ways to create a cleaner environment, including the reduction of plastic pollution. Beginning, April 16, fans will be encouraged to apply these tips and share images and videos of their actions (through social media). The grand prize winner will receive an MLS x Parley jersey of their choice.
MLS WORKS Greener Goals helps to identify ways to reduce our carbon footprint and raises awareness about environmental issues throughout the soccer community. A member since 2013, Major League Soccer and the Green Sports Alliance (Alliance) have formed a new League-wide partnership that will now include all MLS clubs as members, providing access to Alliance resources and enhanced support of the League's effort to strengthen and promote healthy, sustainable communities in the United States and Canada.
For more information on MLS WORKS, please visit mlssoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 10, 2018
- LA Galaxy to Wear Jerseys Made from Parley Ocean Plastic for April 21 Match - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Hits Yankee Stadium Wednesday Night - Real Salt Lake
- Atlanta United Adds Peach Pass as Proud Partner - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls to Host Autism Awareness Match on Saturday, April 21 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Bell Canada Extend Premier Founding Partnership - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 22 against Minnesota United - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Goalkeeper Tim Melia Named MLS Player of the Week - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting Kansas City Goalkeeper Tim Melia Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- 2018 Dallas Cup Champion Chicago Fire Academy U-15 Side to be Recognized against San Jose on May 9 - Chicago Fire
- MLS Celebrates Earth Day with Third Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.